Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nate McVey

One of America's top 10 Outdoor Towns is...........

11 posts in this topic

ELY! Just found this write up from the co-authors of "101 Best Outdoor Towns: Unspoiled Places to Visit, Live & Play."

Ely, Minnesota

Perhaps no place in North America is more dedicated to the pleasures of canoeing than the town of Ely, Minnesota. Perched on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, a 1.1 million-acre chunk of the Superior National Forest with more than 1,000 lakes, Ely is the launching place for classic canoe trips of virtually any length: a day, a week, a month. Canoeists can paddle up to dozens of lakeside lodges, including the postcard-perfect cabins at Burntside Lodge for supper and a slumber. While canoe outfitters outnumber service stations, one of the most popular is Boundary Waters Outfitters , which arranges guided and self-guided trips. When the mercury drops, the town transforms itself into a snowmobiling, dog-sledding, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing destination; good picks for gliding include the nearly 18-mile long Banadad Trail. Better bring a rod, summer or winter, for the fishing that holes up in shacks when it gets cold.

Thanks for posting that, Nate.

It IS a nice place to be sometimes. grin.gifgrin.gif

Nice to see Ely getting some more INk.

Great place to visit hard place to make a living in.

That positive thinking campaign must be paying off. grin.gifgrin.gif

I like Ely to get some positive PR, but Boundary Waters Oufitters has been closed for about 5 years, or more! shocked.gif

Jim, I THOUGHT there was something odd about that. Is that the old outfitters down by the DQ? The one where they sold the building and it's being totally remodeled?

Guess whoever wrote the piece should go back to reporting school, eh? grin.gif

That be it Steve.

Marty's old business, it closed after he passed away.

What's going in there? Building looks beautiful.

St, I worked in that building alot last summer...its owned by Ely Lodging and its being remodeled as the new headquaters....Mainly offices and storage and such...tons of junk and not soo much junk in there now though. Guy who owns it is pretty well off to do and its just another way to blow some money cuz he can...but Joes marina in town almost bought it as a shop but that deal fell through...but your right Its goign to be just a beautiful place!!! grin.gif

Two words mr catish fishis, John Swenson. Do the math.... grin.gif

Thank you, Mr. Chunkus Troutus minimus. grin.gif

A quick Google search took care of things nicely. No math needed. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif