Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan Becklund

green lake?

18 posts in this topic

so whats the story....froze over yet? thanks for the info!!!

Did a circle of some of the lakes in the area yesterday afternoon (Long, Willmar, Green, Nest). Here is what I saw:

Long: 3 portables out there, still looked like there was some open water in the middle

Willmar: 1 portable

Green: Couldn't see any open water from the southwest corner. Nobody out there.

Nest: Heard there was open water mid last week. Drove to the western access. Saw one BRAVE soul out 200 yards or so beyond the point to the south of the access towards the middle of the lake, probably in about 10 feet of water, and another group of 2 getting set up closer.

Heading to Wakonda again tonight. Sure I will report on that tomorrow.

thanks for the info!

anyone out there yet....getting kind of excited. Maybe this weekend I will try it.

I was out last night on the NW side. 4-6 inches of good ice.

Spotty ice be carefull,8 inch in one spot 2 in tne next!

Is the ice still spotty? thinking of heading to try it this weekend.

Ice was good last weekend on the NW end 8-14 inches. Why is the water so cloudy this year? Much worse than last year.

I have been out....had the cam down and saw tons of sucker down there. I don't know how many but wow they were big also. Could be the reason for it being cloudy by me thats for sure!

seen several small vehicles and a couple full size vehicles out there yesterday, was just wondering the ice thickness, and whats the best access to drive out from, was also wondering how the fishings been, any help would be great?

I was out on Green on Monday and drilled a spear hole in the North East side. Ice was 19" thick. When I got all set up I couldn't see five feet down. Haven't seen Green that dirty in a while. Ice thickness varies all over the lake though so don't drive anywhere without knowing what you are driving on.

wow....19" did you read the tape measure wrong? first 8" break off the tape measure? I have not found anything close to 19" out there yet. 10" maybe 11" but no 19"

We got 14" under our house, but I drilled a hole for a tip-up twenty yards away and it was closer to 8".

I will be out in the area tomorrow. How's the fishing been? Wondering if I should bring the equipment.

slayer73, the people that know me would say I'm pretty darn good at reading a tape(I own a construction company) grin.gif.

As I stated though Green varies a lot but 19" is what it was on my favorite little spot!

Sorry about the mix-up....not to call you a lier, but 19" is not the avg ice thickness. Look at the views of this post.....alot of people lurking out there and never replying....I would hate to have someone drive out there with a vehicle on 19" of ice and go thru....would be a bad day for them. Ice is never safe and I would say that the ice on the ne side is not nearly good enough for a vehicle. I still would say a safe bet for the ice thickness would be 10" to 11" sorry if I am preaching

Slayer, that is why I wrote this in that post.

Quote:

Ice thickness varies all over the lake though so don't drive anywhere without knowing what you are driving on.

Maybe thats why so few people post, for fear of getting ridiculed for what they try to say.

You would hope people would check ice thickness before driving out and not just believing what they read on an internet forum.