• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much Ice!!!

Just wondering how much ice is down there now. They should be closing the rest of the gates on the dam really soon. The lake is back to the midpoint of their rule curve. So if there is ice it should get better soon, as long as we dont get too much snow on it!!!!

Don't know how thick it is but I can still see 10 good sized holes of open water from here. No real pattern to where they are. I think they are still the holes that were open when the sheet ice stopped moving a week ago.

Did see one guy trying to clean up the gene pool today. He came down the other side of the river, very close to open water, and went up the bank to a municipal road after getting stuck in the reeds.

I was still thinking how goofy he was when he came back a few minutes later and headed back up stream.

Guess somebody has to be first.

Wow I thought it would be all froze over by now. Well I guess I can wait a little while longer, But I am starting to get the itch. This snow isnt going to help us any though, big change from last year where we hardly got any snow to think of all winter. Well thanks for the info. Hopefully be down that way soon.

Thanks,

Iceman1977

We have 1 spot within sight that is still steaming. The last few nights have really shut down the open holes. That doesn't mean the river is safe for travel but the open holes are finally closing up.

One guy has been sleding up & down the other side and one other has been back & forth on our side a few times. Not sure when I will feel comfortable running the river. Maybe next week if temps hold?

Thanks for the info! Is anybody fishing anywhere on the river yet? Clementson or Birchdale? Maybe I will just have to drive all the way over to The Big Lake for my first trip. On that forum it looks like they are doing pretty good over there.

Thanks,

iceman1977

• 2 months later...

Ok, I know its early but just wondering how thick the ice is on the rainy? How does it compare to the last couple year? If one had to guess about ice out, would you say early or later? I know weather determines everything but I'm starting to get the itch for open water. It wont be long now!!!