• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any good ice

Tyler-

Where is the Dike Road in Wabasha? Is it hard to find? I have mainly only fished in the immediate Rochester area but would like to venture over to the river to find some new spots. Seems like a daunting task though since there could be so many spots, don't really know where to start. Sounds like the backwaters could be a blast if you can find a decent spot. Thanks for your help with the Dike road area.

And also looking forward to getting to more UPLR events this year. Made it to one last year and had a lot of fun, interesting to see where people like to fish on the local ponds.

To get to the Dike road, head N out of Wabasha on Hwy 60/25. Just after you cross the river channel, you enter the area considered the dike road. There are fishing opportunities on both sides of the road for about the next mile (make sure you don't cross the WI side railroad tracks). During early ice, the Pontoon Slough area gets a lot of attention since it usually has the best ice. Pontoon is basically the 2nd parking area on the right after you cross the Miss River channel.

Is the fishing any good on the wisconsin side? If I have a wisconsin license is there anything i should know about before crossing?

You'll want to be careful if you fish the left side (if you're heading towards WI) the ice over there can be kinda unpredictable.

All backwater channels are going to have a little bit of current, which will keep the ice a much thinner. I'll be staying off the channels for another weekend or so, but if you can find pot holes off the channels the ice should be better.

With a WI or MN license, you can fish between the railroad tracks. There are a few ponds on the WI side (that require a WI fishing license) on the road between Nelson and Alma. I'm pretty sure those get early ice, but I don't know for sure.

I made it out on a small water shed pond this am ice was between 5-6 inches. Was out for an hour and a half and caught some gills, nothing sizable. Nice to get out in November!!! Good luck and be safe if you are heading out this weekend.

I WENT THIS MORNING AND CHECKED WILLOW CREEK, ABOUT 3", MAYBE 3.5". SOME SPOTS LOOKED LIKE THEY FROZE IN THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS. THEN WENT OUT TO K7. DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER WALKING OUT. EAST SHORE WAS OPEN AND SOME SPOTS ON THE NORTH END WERE OPEN ALSO

SHANE

Thanks for the update, I will be checking some local spots tomorrow, guess I won't be going to Kalmar.

I know of a couple of people that have gone there and fished already, just stay on the dike end. And make sure you always check it with a spud first. But I do know that atleast two people have been out there ice fising.

Yep. You'll be good out at KR-7. Spud every step, but there is some good ice. I was out there last night with the Yukon. I can only speak for the SE corner but that was almost all good. Stay away from the drain as usual and you'll find some good stuff.Have fun and they are liking the waxies and diamond jigs or genz bugs.