• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hitch-Haul Receiver Hitch Carriers

hanson

Question

Didn't we just have a topic suggesting Pros & Cons of various receiver hitch mounted cargo carriers?

Guess I'm in the market for one this winter. Would have never guessed that 2 guys can stuff an Ext Cab Sierra Pickup to the gills with ice fishing gear (houses, augers, shovel, propane tanks, sleeping bags, rod bags, flashers, 5 gallon pails, coolers, food, etc.)

12 answers to this question

Don't know, but I bought one at fleet and really like it. It works great for coolers and garbage bags. I geuss the only con would be you can't put more than like 150 lb. on it but I would put it in the center cause it's not that rigid.

Has anyone transported their portable fish house on a hitch hauler? How'd it work, anything good or bad to say about it?

I've been kicking around the idea of transporting my atv in the back of my truck and my fishhouse on a hitch hauler. Not sure how well it will work though, my house is an Otter Lodge which has a bigger footprint than any of the hitch haulers I've seen.

I've used hitch haulers a few different times for coolers and power augers, and they worked great for those.

Guess I asked the question as I've seen plenty of hitch mounted cargo carriers on the road that are sagging or tipping away from the vehicle big time. Not sure if its a few particular models doing this to watch out for or what is causing it.

I'm thinking of going with the Masterbuilt model in the Cabelas catalog. Its only $70 which really fits my budget and I don't plan on carrying a lot of weight on it, maybe a cooler or two and other miscellaneous ice fishing gear that won't fit in the truck bed or cab when have 2-3 people in the truck. When 3 guys go on a weekend ice fishing trip, thats a lot of gear!

PerchJerker- you may want to talk to Tyler Holm as I know he used to carry his big Otter on a hitch mounted cargo carrier behind his Jeep Wrangler. I know... sounds funny but he did!! grin.gif He could probably provide some details.

Quote:

I've seen plenty of hitch mounted cargo carriers on the road that are sagging or tipping away from the vehicle big time. Not sure if its a few particular models doing this to watch out for or what is causing it

The couple different hitch haulers I've used all a little play and sway in them (side to side, not tipping away from the vehicle). I think it's just the nature of the beast, it's a lot of area and leverage for a 2" receiver to hold flat and steady. Once I got used to the play and sway it didn't bother me, they were solid enough to stand on. I think it they were any tighter fitting it'd be next to impossible to get them in or out of the receiver hitch.

I have no idea what brand(s) of haulers I used.

I bought one for my brother-in-law at Big Bear when he switched from truck to Tahoe. He had some reinforcing tube steel welded on and has used it to carry a lot of weight. I use mine to haul the snowblower to the mother-in-law's house. I wish it was wider so the wheels would fit in the gap.

Just bought a Masterbuilt Hitch-Haul 2x carrier. Powdercoated bolt together steel with 500lb capacity. I got the big one (23 1/2" wide instead of 20"). Haven't used it yet but it will be taking a 1000 mi. trip to Sask. Canada after the 1st of year. I'll have my 1 man Frabill sporting a custom built auger mount and loaded with ice gear. I read a few reviews online of high mileage travel with it loaded up. It was enough for me to jump in with both feet. I just need to figuer out how to secure it for the long road.

Hanson, sorry I couldn't give you a road tested report hope it helps anyhow.

redbandit:

I bought one from Northern Tool two years ago. Used it twice and sits in my closet now.

I drilled out (2) holes on each end and front/back and installed heavy eye bolts.

A couple winch straps and tossed my two man Polar on it and cased auger. Off to Red Lake I went with it on my Tahoe wink.gif

** Note:

I first laid down a 8 X 8 tarp on the carrier, wrapped my house and auger tight with it and then strapped her all down.House and auger had a cover but wanted them to stay nice.

Everything stayed nice and clean, no snow, salt,dirt, exhaust issues.

Nothing moved a bit, checked straps every hours worth of driving.

I was eye balling the Alluminum hitch carrier from Northern last year just couldn't pull the trigger on the price....dam 2 door Tahoe's... mad.gif

ice it:

Thanks a lot for the tips! That took all the guesswork out for me.

Man, I just looked in the Menards flyer and they've got a fully assembeled 60 x 22 500lb cap. for $45. Heck-of-a deal, I got mine for $100 from JC Whitney. Shoulda waited.

I had a buddy get one made at a welding shop last year the dimensions of his otter lodge. Then had them weld an eye on each corner to which he cross over some tie downs. That allows him to load his 3 wheeler into his pickup and no need for a trailer. Very slick little system. It fits really well but then it was made. It is bigger than a standard on you can buy too and I am pretty sure he got it cheaper than buy one of the ones on the market. Nothing is bolted together everything is welded so there is not place for anything to come loose.

redbandit:

Make sure its good quality and not a cheapo. Mine is all welded and on sale was like $159.

It would be nothing to have it welded like iffwalleys friend to make it wider. I had a little over hang (6" ?) but worked fine.

I was actually going to have the receiver extended a few inches to get the house overage closer to the vehicle but found it was not enough to worry about. Eye bolts were heavy duty, lock washers and loctite smile.gif

Thanks again for all the advice. Hate to have an accident. I like the loctite idea. The bolts used are carraige bolts with locnuts. I know it's not as good as weld but i'll have to make due with what I got. I'll be using the loctite for added security. I did put the portable on the carrier this weekend. It sits on there fine but I still don't like the sway in the hitch. I wonder if I could use some sheetmetal to shim the reciever while traveling?