Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baitshopboy

Be PREPARED!!

10 posts in this topic

I know that the ice-season is right around the corner, but ya'all should take a breath.... The reason i am saying this is because we dont need any statistics on our frozen lakes this year. Yes Gentlemen, like you I love to ice fish... it is my passion, i spend 3/4 of my winter on the ice but im not willing to risk it all for a chance at a big trophy. My advice to you all is to take precautions out there, wear a PFD and have picks around your neck also, think about what your doing!! I mean come on: like last year out at julia, people were pushing the weight limits on the ice, and that ruins a day of fishing for every body else......... BE SAFE!!!

well put!!! GOOD TALK

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

all im saying is be safe.... go ahead i aint stoping you from risking it, but i really dont want my day of fishing screwed up because sum monkey decides to drive out and drop there equipment through the ice!!!

I don't see the problem with someone telling others to be safe and responsible. But I do agree, I don't have much compassion for stupid irresponsible people...however, if their stupidity puts me at risk, then I have concern! If you want to drive on thin ice, do it on the opposite side of the lake from me. I praise everyone who posts ice reports and safety hints...keep it coming! I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the face, "better safe than sorry!"

Yea relly knowbody said you had to read it!!!!!

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I think theres more folks out ice fishing then during open water.

Its a growing sport with that new anglers to ice fishing.

Nothing wrong about educating and reminders to be safe.

The natural selection you referred to, well I have a hard time reading about a father and son that went out fishing but didn't come back home. Or the group of neighborhood kids that drowned in the pond in the backyard. Natural selection to you maybe.

A tragedy to family and friends.

If your that seasoned guy that doesn't need the reminder thats great but don't discredit those that give a warning to those not as educated.

Be prepared, be cautious, but don't be foolish.

I'll add my post from another forum here.

Travel in pairs and test the ice with a chisel on your way out. Avoid slips and falls by wearing Ice cleats. Those cleats will also give you traction in case your pulling someone out of the water. 100' of rope with loops big enough to get around your body is a must. Of coarse if the guy carrying the rope goes through that isn't going to do him any good, each of you should have an end. If your pulling a portable or sled, use a longer rope. If you fall through the ice, let go of the tow rope, you don't want to be sharing your hole with the portable. Ice Picks, get your legs horizontal to the surface and kick while you pull yourself out with the picks. Once you get enough of your body on the ice, roll away from the open area.

Definitely travel or fish in pairs this time of the year. It doesn't make sense to lose a loved one over a limit of fish.

surface tension you hit the ball right on the head be safe not sorry castindad