Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Ranger Finders

7 posts in this topic

What does everyone use? I am also looking to get a pair of these, and i wonder what everyone thinks i should get. Any information would be awesome. Thanks

I use a Bushnell yardage pro sport. I love it. It's range is from 5-800 yards, and has a 4x magnification lense as well for some of those farther away items. It is pretty reasonably prices, and it is compact enough to carry pretty much anywhere. I used to use one of those optical ones where you had to line up the images, I guess it worked as well, but the great thing about the laser ones is it is just a push of the button. Also, I have had it for 4 years now and never had to change the battery, which is a 9 volt btw.

I also have Busnel sport, it does work very well but it does not read distance thru ground blind mesh so I got a Nikon 440 and it does work very well also. The nikon is a couple more bucks I think.

Check out the thread in the Hunting forum...there is some more feedback about this topic there.

I have the Nikon 440 and have been very pleased. It has 8x magnification and gets out to around 400 yards. Regular price is typically 199.99, but someone mentioned that Cabela's puts it on sale from time to time at 179.99. Good luck!

thanks guys for all the information.

tt

We got my son a Nikon Monarch 800 this year, and it is an extremely fun little package. Because we will be doing a little coyote control out on the prairies, the longer-range model will be nice. I've played with a number of different models, and like all optics, you really do get what you pay for.

If you're going to be doing any hunting in the wide-open spaces, an 800 yard model is the minimum. Not to suggest that a guy is going to be taking 800 yard shots, but the ability of the finder to actually range smaller targets is better. In other words, your 400 yard finder probably won't lock onto a deer at 250 yards, while the 800 will.

My buddy has a top-shelf Leica 1200, and while comparing it to my old Bushnell we couldn't quit laughing. I put the Bushnell back in its box a few days later, and haven't used it since.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Satchmo
      Water level is a little higher than normal, but not outrageous.
    • Kaz
      I'm not sure if it's a Minnkota or other after market brand. Cabela's service center installed it and provided the quick release mount. When I took it back to them and showed the problem, they did not question the failure. Look at the lock on yours and see if when you push the locking lever over if the part of the lock is plastic or some other type non metallic material. The stub on the bottom of the motor itself is metal and connects to the plastic in the base. That's where the issue of failure lies.. If your is plastic too, then I'd question the safety and complain to who ever sold you that mount and get one that is much stronger and will not crumble like mine did.. Good luck.. I'll post the results after I find out what Cabela's comes up with... Kaz 
    • Satchmo
      Mayflies were just getting started on the west end of the lake last weekend. 
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      Thanks! I'm glad to be here and so far absolutely love this state. The cold didn't bother me one bit and I learned that ice fishing is fun.    People look down on spinnerbaits? Never heard that but it wouldn't bother me if they did. I'll fish my way and they can fish their way.   Roland is absolutely right. I've noticed that there seem to be an abundance of bass in that 2-5 pound class, at least where I fish. I hardly ever find a skinny bass, they're all footballs.   Really I enjoy the pike though. They are great fighters and great tasting. Of course we don't have those down south and I've really grown to appreciate them. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Jeff_s, Welcome to FM and the Vermilion Forum! Cliff
    • eyeguy 54
      There is a tank of leeches over by their water tank. They're stopping by later so they can go fishing. Gotta love our language. HA! 
    • jeff_s
    • leech~~
        Are you from Canada? Too?
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I always use only 1/2 crawler mainly because it is all that is needed to get walleyes to bite. It also more closely resembles the molting rusty crayfish and Mayfly nymphs that the walleyes are eating. The 1/2 crawler also works well when the walleyes are feeding on young-of-the-year perch. It works much better then using a crappie minnow on my rigs for some reason. I have tried both on different lines at the same time and the crawler will out fish the crappie minnow every time! Does not make sense when they are eating minnows, but that is the way it is. I always had problems with the walleyes stealing my bait when I used a whole crawler too. If I fed a whole crawler to the fish long enough for them to eat it, I almost always gut hooked the fish. One of my clients boated a 27-1/2 inch walleye today using 1/2 crawler, a red hook, and a green glow bead. Cliff  
    • Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.   Thanks in advance!