Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Durham

Ice

4 posts in this topic

Checked out several lakes today and heard of a few anglers that actually ventured out on the ice. Stopped in at Delaney's and they said a couple went out but when they drilled holes the water flooded the ice. Too early for me yet!

The arms of Potato are iced, but the access is wide open, I'll be out there in the boat tomorrow morning.

Fishhook has ice around the edge, but the majority is open. Twin and Howe on the way to Detroit Lakes were frozen, but Toad was open. Lake George was half-frozen yesterday morning, but with the cold night it should be shut. Paine was enclosed. I hope everyone uses common sense when going out and makes sure they're safe-

I checked south twin (Menhaga) yesterday and there was 2 inches of ice about as far out as i wanted to venture. A couple of good cold nights and it'll be good to go smile.gif

JD- Thanks for the report.

From the weatherunderground site..."Rest of Tonight (11-26-07)

Areas of blowing snow in the evening. Mostly cloudy with light snow in the evening...then partly cloudy with chance of light snow after midnight. Partly cloudy early in the morning. New snow accumulation around 1 inch. Lows zero to 5 above. Northwest winds around 15 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent."

No ice is SAFE!

mm

It's 5:30 a.m. and my thermometer says 8-below. SWEET! Those winds were howling last night as the cold front came in, but those small to medium sized lakes are close to ready.

I fished Potato last Saturday in the boat and water temps were 35-37.5.

NoDak, shouldn't you be changing your name to Ifalls? I envy you, Rainy Lake in your backyard!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~
      There are a few small Trout lakes in there as well but not sure how they bite in the summer? I've only Ice fished them.  
    • mnfathead
      Thanks Cliff, weather looks dynamite so that's a good start!
    • airnuts
      Finally making it up for our first trip of the year. Strictly walleye fishing in Frazer Bay with slip bobbers around the reefs. Appreciate any fishing reports. Thanks!
    • ZachD
      I believe they take vets living in veteran homes around the area like Silver Bay veteran home ect
    • ZachD
      tango loves going to Crooked lake!   Sand pines really works with you well for starting off. I don't know just because they were not busy but the kid stayed out with me and planted one by one until I told him to release them all. Golden meadows is nice as well. Do the pre buy program (I think if you buy before mid Aug) and the birds are a good price. They will flag all the birds if you want.   He still only weighs under 60lbs but I like it that way he is deadly fast and never gets tired   Cant wait to see how he does this season want to make a trip to the Dakotas at least once
    • fishingalex
      Does anybody know of a local Alexandria shop that would install a Humminbird Helix for me?
    • ifishwalleye
      Like Mlaker3 said... go as light as you can. The key is to try and stay vertical. It's the nature of the beast when jigging in rocks that your going to get some snags and loose some jigs. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Thanks for all info. Even if I end up staying at the kawashiwi river campground (which I've done the past 2 years), now I at least know where to drive around and scout out some spots for next trip. 
    • redlabguy
      Good advice! I appreciate it. And good to hear from you. I found fish over the weekend on reef tops with few if any bites. I should've moved on but 11-12" fish made me think better ones might come. The good fish I did find were on the sides of reefs.  I'm off the water for family business, but hoping for a good August! Dick
    • eyeguy 54
      maybe he didn't see the question yet? google is your friend. this one sounds like its for vets that are at the VA.  not sure. Check out Take a Vet Fishing online.  couple events coming up. not by Duluth tho.