• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

chevy s 10 window motor on drivers side

castindad

Question

airjer window on drivers side quit working is this a very tedious job? any help? thanks castindad

4 answers to this question

The only part that can be a bit problematic is the actual replacing of the motor on the window regulator.

Here's what you are looking at. Remove the door card, it will have a couple of screws in the door handle/armrest and one by the handle to open the door. Using a sturdy putty knife you will be able to pop the door card loose. You will need to unplug the switches for the windows and the locks and then the door card should be free. You will then need to remove the entire regulator assembly from the window. Use masking tape to hold the window up so it does not come crashing down when you remove the regulator. Unbolt the regulator from the window itself. Next you will need to remove the regulator from the door. Some are bolted to the door some are riveted. Riveted ones require you to drill or grind the rivet heads off. Once you have the regulator out of the door, you will need to clamp it in the vise. The rivets that hold the motor to the regulator will need to be drilled. This is the part where you will find out the reason it needs to be clamped in a bench vise. If it is not it will try to retract and you will not be able to install the motor. The new motor will bolt back on to the regulator. Some motor kits come with bolts to bolt the regulator back into the door, some come with pop rivets, some come with nothing. If the kit has rivets or nothing, you will need to track down the rivets at a dealership, and find the rather large pop rivet gun to handle size rivets being used. While at the dealership I would recommend getting the new push clips that hold the door card on as it will make the finished product much nicer. It is not a bad project. Just make sure the wires that run through the rubber tube between the door post and door are not broken. That is also a common problem. If you pull the rubber tube one way or the other, it will be obvious if the wires are broke as the insulation will be busted as well. If you feel it is too much to take on, it should only be 1.5 hours of labor to get a shop to do it for you.

Very good info.

One other thing to just check. The conduit that goes in the jam by the hinge. Sometimes a wire can break in there. Seen that before is all.

What DS said! grin.gif

Before you pull the panel off I would check the switch. The switch works by alternating the paths that power and ground use. To simplify think of it this way. The red wire is hot all the time (the colors I am using are hypothetical) the black wire is ground all the time. The orange and blue are two wire s that supply power and ground to the motor. When you push the switch up power comes from the red wire goes through the switch which directs it to the orange wire, the orange wire carries the power to the motor. At the same time the switch is grounding the blue wire which completes the circuit. When you push the switch down it does just the opposite. It sends power through the blue wire and turns the orange wire into the ground wire.

I needed to explain that so this makes sense. One wire on the back of the switch should have power all the time. One wire will be grounded all the time. If you hold the switch up one and only one additional wire should power up. the same for pushing down. The switch may be bad If more than one wire powers up while pushing the switch in either position. Essentially the switch is not providing a ground for which ever position causes the two wires to power up.

One thing I like to do before I remove the motor is tap on it while pushing the up or down button. If it starts working then I know I am on the right track!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.