• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

(911) heater help

ice_it_06

Question

Have a new 15,000 btu "convection" heater I fired up today for the first time. Let it burn for 20 minutes until house reached 100 degrees and turned off the tank.

Worked nice the first time and noticed nothing "odd" other then the gas pressure seemed loud and strong @ light up before hitting the ignition button. Let out a good "pop" when the spark hit the gas but it was a good clean start.

SECOND time (3 hrs later) I got serious (flash back) as soon as it ignited. Pressure was loud and high again it seemed.

THIRD time (minutes later) I got the same result with a minor explosion action that burned my hand and wrist.

Ugly burnt hair smell.

Instructions are to shut down heater @ LP supply (tank) which I did.

Hose has a regulator control valve on it which is suppose to be in the "high" position @ start up.

Fish house is vented plus door and a few hole covers were of so I'm sure that is not a issue.

I PULLED IT OUT and plan to go another route and return this time bomb.

Any ideas on what is wrong with the things lighting characteristics explained ?

6 answers to this question

Sounds like the gas pressure is too high. Could be a faulty gas pressure regulator.

You are doing the right thing by taking it back.

boilerguy:

The thing does not have a faint hissing sound at all like any other type heater. The regulator control knob/dial is right on the regulator but seems very cheap.

This thing sounds like a good air leak from a air hose as soon as you push in the gas valve. I'm thinking there is so much gas dispersed in one second before you get to the igniter button that it causes this reaction.

In any event I want no part of another one. I see the 80,000 btu model of this brand was recalled last year for same type stuff.

If you can actually hear that much gas expell, um, that's really bad. There should never be a build up of gas pressure in any line. Otherwise the scenario you describe is a prescription for an explosion.

Take it back.

You definitely knew the gas was reaching the pilot area. Thought maybe that was a normal quality of a convection heater. The third attempt to light was definitely the closest I've been to a full on explosion and don't know how it didn't.

Notice on a search this maker had the 80,000 btu units recalled for the same type issues. See nothing about this little one I got.

sounds like the burner orifice or venturi is blocked or partially restricted. most likely cobwebs from sitting over the summer. the venturi is the tube from the orifice to the burner. there is no flame there so it will not burn out. will need to take apart & look for some blockage