Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vitt

ice fishing guide for walleyes

8 posts in this topic

My family will be coming up to Alexandria over Christmas break. We are meeting some other relatives at Arrowwood Resort. My 11 year-old son and I would like to get in some walleye fishing for a half-day. Arrowwood offers ice fishing but looking at past reports the chances of catching a walleye on that lake are slim. I have never fished this area before so I thought it might be best to get a guide. I am not having any luck on the web finding a guide for ice fishing. Any lake within a reasonable drive would be fine. I figured this would be the place to get recommendations.

Thank you,

Mike

Stop in at Christopherson's Bait in Alex or Knotty Pine in Brandon someone there should be able to point you in the right direction. Some really good people in both places. Tim

[Note from admin: Please re-read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Thanks for the kind works Harvey. Vitt, we do not guide during the hard water season (ice fishing) as the liability insurance is extremely high. However, the Arrowwood does put out a number of permanet houses on Lake Darling, right infront of the hotel. And where they place the houses is really a pretty good winter panfish and walleye spot for the chain. You may not even need a guide. And I know the kids will have a GREAT time at the water park. grin.gif

If there is enough ice, you can come out of the northern most landing on the East side of lake Ida (north of Pilgrim Point). Basically straight out you should see a number of houses lined up on the first break. May not be the largest fish but you should be able to get into some at least. Plain hook and a fat head 1' up off the bottom is a good start for a presentation.

I grew up on Darling, and second what Wayne said. The break right out in front of Arrowwood's access is a good "first timer" winter spot for all species, especially pannies. As far as time of day and early season techniques, I'll just say that the walleyes on Darling are very typical.

I had a cabin on Darling and we would also catch them right on the break, just out of Arrowood. We used to leave our house there for 1/2 the year and on Le Homme Dieu for the rest.