• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

muzzleloader questions

TommyJ33

I got a brand new T/C Omega Z-5, 50 cal inline smokepole. it has 28 inch barrel with 209 primer ignition.

Any recommendations on Sabots, sabot grain size, powder (pellet or free powder), powder brands I should look at.

Also any sight in steps or recommendations would be great.

I figure I would be using it mostly on late season deer for shooting up to 100 yards.

Thanks

This is what I do and it is good enough for me. I have your same exact setup. I put a 2 pellet charge, pyrodex pellets, 100 grains total, pushing a hornady sstml sabot at 250 grains. if this is your first muzzleloader, than my best advice is to clean it the same day as you shoot because the sulfur in the power is highly corrosive to the barrel (clean it offen and well), will rust overnight if not. I get this stuff for muzzleloaders called barrel blaster by CVA its a foam once you spray it in the barrel, I close the breech and let it sit for ten minutes then run a cleaning patch and jag down and it is bright and clean. I spray the same stuff in the breech plug as well. put it in a little cup ( I use a yogurt cup and let it soak and then clean it with a Q-tip) I also take the barrel off with the 2 screws. That way I can get to all of the action and use regular gun scrubber, ( the regular stuff bleaches out the synthetic stock.) To sight it in start at 25 yards and work your way out. The dvd that came with it offers more tips than I can give you here.

I would not buy Pyrodex powder, I would start out with Triple 7 powder, they shoot about the same, but it's noncorrosive. It will cost you a little more, but it's definitely worth it.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. So 100 grains of charge is plenty? I will be shooting the standard sights that come with it so I doubt I could accurately shoot consistantly out past 200 yards.

Brassman, currious to know what you zeroed your sights to with that set up.

ie. zero at 100 how much drop out to 200yards?

Triple 7 come in pellet form?

thanks for the help guys! smile.gif

I just bought a T/C Triumph. I used it as my deer gun this last weekend but never got to pull the trigger.

I found that some sabots are bigger than others and are harder to load.

Triple 7 does come in pellets and is real easy to use.

I am hunting muzzleloader season also and I am really looking forward to it.

I'm quite sure mine will not shoot accurately anywhere near 200 yards, but you've bought a better ML that I have.

Nobody can shoot accurately at 200 yards with factory open sights. A peep maybe but not a ramp sight.

I shoot 130 grains triple 7 pellets (2-50's & 1-30) and shot the 250 grain T/C Shockwaves. They work well in my encore, but you really need to try a few to see what works for you.

I have the same set up. I started with the hornady's however they were a bit hard to load. I guess the new sabots they have out are better. I use the TC shockwaves in 300 grain and the yellow sabots. For powder I love the Jim Shockeys Gold. I bought a bottle of the sticks and the Loose FFG. They both shoot great though I prefer the FFG. And clean wow! You can go the whole season without doing a thorough cleaning. I shot it about 20 times at the range and cleaned real good with wet patch and dry patch and it really wasn't too dirty. I have found the accuraccy actually improves after about 5 or 6 shots. I also use the Remington Klean Bore primers and they seem to work great! My gun was just about dead on right out of the box. 2 inches high at 50 yards with 5 shots in a 5" circle with open sights.

I hunt in the woods so shots over 50 yards are rare, thats what I have it zeroed at. I want to put a peep on mine, but overall I love the gun.

I shoot the American Pioneer Powder, I love the stuff easy clean up with water and super awesome, I would not shoot anything else comes in 50 grain sticks, I am shooting 100 with a 250 grain sabot, super great out to 80 they are alot of fun to shoot.

I'll second with mnmuzzleloader on the American Pioneer Powder. I shoot the loose, Shockey Gold, 100gr. I differ a bit, I am still shooting a traditional sytle gun with a sidelock, and a #11 cap. But the American Pioneer does clean so easy. I also find my rifle easy to reload when its cold out using this powder.

I saw on a different thread, someone else wondered about a "Muzzle Loading" section. I feel it would be a good idea, hopefully we could get enough interest to make that work !!!