Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hookmaster

Torque for trailer wheel?

5 posts in this topic

What would the ball park torque be for the bolts on a trailer for a Lund S14? It has 4 bolts. On my trailers it is 80-90 ft lbs. but these are for bigger boats. Does it make a difference?

I would guess 40 to 50 ft-lbs for 1/2" studs on a light weight trailer would be plenty. I can't recall seeing anyone use a torque wrench on one, and rarely on a car or truck. (Though almost all racers at all levels use a torque wrench at pre-race setup, but at a pit stop it's just hit it and go. Most racers use 80 to 120 ft-lbs, but many are using 5/8" studs.) I would think 80 to 90 would be difficult to change a tire on the side of the road. (These are not specs, just seat of the pants observations.)

Got a star wrench? Tighten them up till you have to exert just enough force till your at the point where you don't want to have to exert any more force to get them off. I've never had a lug nut or lug stud come loose, ever.

Quote:

I can't recall seeing anyone use a torque wrench on one, and rarely on a car or truck.

I Torqued mine, with a torque wrench, after repacking the bearings! grin.gif I do the same on customers trailers and always at least use a torque stick on vehicles!

At work its torque sticks all the time because we do so many. At home, anything I touch (mine or otherwise) gets a torque wrench EVERY time.....NO exceptions.

Quick reference from wheel manufacturers says...

7/16 stud 50 to 60 lbs

12mm stud 70 to 80 lbs

1/2 stud 80 to 90 lbs

These are approximate values for most applications, but should keep you safely on the road with all your wheels attached.