Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

Sluggin' the 'Eyes...

8 posts in this topic

Realizing it was the MN deer opener and that the slugs would be flying, I thought that nothing would be better than chasing 'eyes on some of the awesome water we have in our own back-yards of South Central MN.

News Flash: The walleyes are biting! grin.gif

For those that have been out, I'm sure this comes to no surprise but I wasn't sure what to expect considering the last time I've been out in the area was our fall Get-Together. The name of the game over the past few days has been speed and presentation over anything. Yesterday, it was a matter of keeping the presentation vertical and ever so slowly back-trolling into the waves with a jig and minnow in 6 - 10' of water. Today, we reverted from that on a guide trip and anchored and pitched jigs and minnows to wind-swept transition areas in 3 - 6' of water. On Saturday, we saw ~10 fish come to the boat with the biggest being ~15". Today was a much different story and I quickly realized that was a good thing. We easily caught 35 'eyes this afternoon and early evening with the biggest around 19" but most were in that 14 - 16" range. A 3-person limit could have been finished out in a couple hours of fishing the evening bite. However, other than a few PDOGG kept on Saturday, all fish were caught and released for someone else to have fun with. In either case, the fish are just clobbering the presentation, so get out and enjoy. The late fall feed bag is definitely ON!

Fish On!

weekend002ba1.jpg

Typical for the weekend

weekend001ws1.jpg

Incredible Sunday sunset

weekend003rw6.jpg

I didn't catch nearly as many as you TO., but, I agree. They are hungry. Was out this morning. 47.5 temp on the water. SLOW was key. I anchored also in 8 FOW and was casting shallow. It was nice to be the only boat on the water.

Glad you guys were able to get into some bigger fish. I wish I could have gave it another run tonight but had fun with the kids instead. Looks like maybe you had some luck in the second spot we tried ? Was the same presentation the best? Looks like maybe we should have anchored and pitched shallow like we talked about but never did. Oh well hopefully I can get out there again befor it freezes up.

45 degree water for me.

First spot, same presentation.

Nice, thanks.

To how long will this bite last or should I put the boat away? Will be hunting for the next week or so!

I certainly wouldn't put the boat away.