Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caughtacase73

Lamp out on Dodge 1500

12 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 dodge 1500. The "lamp out" indicator on the dash is on. I have check all the usual suspects I think (turn lights / brake lights / head lights). Does anyone have a suggestion on isolating a bad bulb and turning off the "lamp out" indicator light.

Thanks

Travis

How about side markers, turn signals, license bulbs, and reverse lights? Typically side markers/license bulbs aren't monitored. I'm not sure about reverse lights though.

I think they all are monitored. Check dash lights bulbs also.

Also check low and high beams lights.

I know for sure on the jeeps the side markers are not monitored. I have never tested the reverse lights, might have to test that theory on a slow night in the near future. I find front and rear sidemarkers blown out all the time with no messages in the info center.

People would be surprised to find out how many bulbs they actually have on there vehicles. Not to mention how many of them are burnt out!

Does the 04's have daytime running lights? Does the error pop up when you turn the lights on or does it come on as soon as the the key is on?

Airjer,

We are not talking about a Jeep here grin.gif.

I would (almost bet my life) Dodge (a division of Chrysler, which owns Jeep) monitors side markers.

You found the quasar loop hole in the Chrysler Corporation. grin.gif

They have two different BCM’s (Part Numbers).

I do not doubt Jeep’s BCM does not monitor side markers though. cool.gif

Quote:

In situations where an aftermarket utility box is installed after the removal of the original

equipment pick up box, the lamp out indicator may illuminate. This is due to the

use of aftermarket rear stop and turn signal lamps which use a dual filament bulb

instead of separate circuits for the stop and turn indictor. The Front Control Module

(FCM), monitors the current flowing through the stop and turn signal circuits to operate

the lamp out feature. Most aftermarket rear stop and turn signal assemblies use

dual filament bulbs with a common stop and turn circuit. The current flow through

these units will be different than the original equipment lamps.

A new feature has been added to the FCM to allow the use of dual filament rear stop and turn

signals. This feature is called, “Combined Rear Stop and Turn lamps” . It can be programmed

into the FCM using the DRB® III on vehicles built after Aug. 6, 2003 (MDH - 0806XX). To

program the feature, connect the DRB® III and make the following menu selections:

Item No. Description

1 DRB Stand Alone

3 Body

3 FCM/IPM

9 Miscellaneous

4 Comb R Stop & Turn

Hope this helps you, it may or may not be your problem, but it's worth a shot.

Quote:

Airjer,

You found the quasar loop hole in the Chrysler Corporation.
grin.gif

If only I could find the quasar loop hole on a Hyundai that has been schooling me for the last two weeks!! blush.gif

Quote:

If only I could find the quasar loop hole on a Hyundai that has been schooling me for the last two weeks!!

Well Airjer lets here about it, you have helped out so many of us, tell us what is going on, maybe someone here has seen it before.

GatorBait,

Good info!

I also forgot about third (cab) brake light bulb and cargo lights. Be sure to check them.

Quote:

If only I could find the quasar loop hole on a Hyundai that has been schooling me for the last two weeks!!

Yuck!

Bring it on.

I checked all my lights immediately after the indicator light came on and could not find the problem. After about 4 days I checked again and found it to be a brake light ( not the third brake light). I have to guess that the bulb was weak or shorting and working / then not working and final failed completely. So I replaced the bulb and my indicator light turned off.

I really appreciate the help. As stated many times, this is a great site full of true sportsmen and sportswomen and general good people. Thanks again for the help.

Travis

As a follow up, any of you guys that put a snowplow on, even with all of the lights working, you may OR may not get the "lamp out" light on the dash.

Sometimes it will illuminate, sometimes not.