Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milkdud

Lakers

12 posts in this topic

Are there any good spots to ice fish for lakers in the area?

There's Burntside and Snowbank if you are referring to the Ely area along with some others if you are up to an adventure in the BWCA. Search prior posts on laker fishing through the ice and you will get all of the info you need.

Ely and the Gunflint Trail areas have Lake Trout. Some are drive to lakes and a lot more within the BWCA. Theres been a lot of info posted about Lake Trout lakes and techniques to get them year round.

There are also a couple lakes around Grand Rapids with some lake trout.

Dont forget Lake Superior around Ashland/Bayfield. Thats where the big ones roam.

Milkdud, lots of lakes up north. Since your from the same town as me give me an e-mail and maybe we could meet up north (burntside). Your name sure sounds familiar? confused.gif

Speaking of ashland...was considering chequamegan bay...how thick does the ice get there? I hear it's productive for multiple species, but what do people usually target in the winter?

Lakers, Splake, walleye, perch, smallies, coho and even a rainbow every once in a while.

Takes a while for the ice to get good but it can be worth it. BIG Lakers through the ice are like no other fish.

If ya need more info I highly suggest ya look up Jim Hudson and his "On the spot" Guide service. He is a staffer here and knows his stuff down there. Check out his web page and see some pigs they get. WOW!

Yep, Yep, Yep,,..... Many places on the CQ Bay to fish once the ice goes in ( read: new years till Feb 28th ).

Many days, in 30' or less you'll go down without a fish & many days you will get the slamma' jamma' of species on the bay. As NL said if your fishing deep on ice you have a good chance for Lakers.

Read up in the Wisconsin fourm from past winters & find what youz like...

-CLoma

Thanks for the info, will definitely be looking up on that as winter moves closer. Amen about big lakers through the ice! Found that out last year on gunflint.

As Minnesotaions I think we pass up the great fishing on the CQ bay-- or the S. Shore for that matter-- because we are worried about getting 'up north'.

For my money fishing the salmanoids- or Trout - Ashland is the place....

Perch on Mille Lacs....

Crappies on Red.....

Lakers on the Apostles....

Heres a coaster thats on my wall from near Houghten Point...& a rainbow thats not so steelie...

-Later- CLoma

CoasterMount.jpg

whittleseyDaveSteelie.jpg

Hey I hit 400 posts... This ones for you NorthLander!!!

400? Man your s sluffer. Quit sitting around eating all day and start posting. I want to hear all your Island Lake Spots so I can win the Hawg Walleye Contest next year. wink.gif

Congrats on 400 Loma. Heading to Burntside this year?