Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esox49

Anyone using a decoy?

8 posts in this topic

Just was wondering if anyone is using a decoy (either buck or doe) and having any luck? Or, have you stopped using one with the rut starting?

First, for your own safety, be sure not to use a decoy on public property or during a gun season. I have used a decoy while bow hunting the last few years and it is second to none. I usually set up as a doe and put a small canister of doe estrous pee on the decoy's back. Does feel at ease around it and bucks come in about everytime to get a sniff. It's a pain to carry in and set up and it can be dangerous, but if you do it right and it's legal where you hunt, then I reccomend it.

I'll have one out in front of the bow stand tomorrow morning.

My brother had a large 10 pointer spook and bolt from his doe decoy on the morning after gun opener. It was just bfore shooting time and it was walking right at him and at 40 yards it stopped for a few seconds, looked at it, and bolted. He was not a happy camper.

jeff

I used one last friday. The problem I had I was set up right on the trail that the turkeys wanted to use, they came into the woods and started putting when they seen the buck decoy, the milled around for a while and then tried it again, this time when they started there putting a doe bolted into the scene, she seen the buck but went down wind to check it out, all the turkey noise made her move on pretty quickly, I can see under the right condition it would work awesome, it will distract them enough for you to get a shot!!! Good Luck!!!!!

I will use one for rifle opener as a doe with some doe in heat. Its riflew opener this weekend.

re; the spooked buck from the decoy

I'd guess he touched the deocy with his bare hands. You have to get your scent off the decoy or it is worthless. I wash it up real good in the fall and spray it down with a scent killer. Then I keep it hidden and covered near my stand. I never touch it without gloves. Hope this helps.

Actually he was extremely careful when putting it out and the wind was completely in his favor---the buck never got downwind---nothing in deer hunting is 100% predictable. I just think that buck just wasn't in the mood(he should have been) and is big for a reason......by leaving when things don't look right. There is still plenty of time since that buck resides in area 601

jeff