Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snake River  King

Ice fishing????

24 posts in this topic

Hello just was thinking on mabey getting a trip going for Lake Vermilion. I have never fished it and was woundering hows the fishing in the winter? Is the ice safe or is it bad ice? do alot of people fish it? thanks

Last year was awesome for ice fishing. Caught more fish last winter then last 5 years combined. There are a few bad spots for ice. But for the most part the lake has good ice usually. Lots of people fish down by mckinley park. I like to venture out and find the fish myself...one day we released 11 fish that were too big...

Snake River King,

Vermilion is a great lake for winter fishing!

For the most part the ice is safe to drive on once we get thick enough ice. I do not drive my truck out until we get at least one foot of good ice. 6" of solid, clear ice will easily hold a snowmobile or ATV.

As mentioned the McKinley Park area gets fished heavily, mostly because of a public access and plowed roads, plus it is a good walleye area early in the season to walk out from.

I have a couple of rental houses available. I also do remote ATV or snowmobile guided trips if you are interested in that.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

Woohoo!

Renting Cliff's shack is a no brainer. Cliff has a nice house and he lets you use the Marcum, provides bait, jigs, and can take you to the shack. I had one of my best days ever out of his shack last year.

I've never been so pumped to ice fish Vermilly than I am right now!

Can anyone tell me about any spots to access ice fishing west of Big Way.... East of Oak Narrows wink.gif for a walk out spot?

laugh.gifbacktroller1@yahoo.com

Besides walleyes...what does vermilion have to offer through the ice? I imagine it's popular for panfish?

perch

perch, tulibees, and crappie if you can find them. Its a blast when you get into the tulibees on light tackle. They can put up a great fight!!! Beats not catching anything...

Rackenstuff

Just hit your summertime holes! There are unlimited areas to ice fish just in that region of the lake. If we dont get much snow you can typically drive 4x4 anywhere except the no brainer bad ice areas.

Jason,

You can go out of the Frazer Bay Landing. It is plowed out all winter.

I think that you may also be able to get permission to use the Shamrock Marina landing.

There should be walleyes and perch in many spots in that area. Early ice will have fish in 8' to 16' of water.

They will be in the deeper holes and sharp breaks as the winter wears on and the ice gets thicker.

Cliff

Thanks guys!

I am getting a eskimo pro 1 man ice house soon. Seems to be a neat house. I am wondering if my camera this year wont work as well last year with this dirtier water?

back to work I guess!

It seems like the deeper you go the harder it is to see with the camera. (darker).....we use cameras thru the ice and at 10-15 ft they work great.

Quote:

It seems like the deeper you go the harder it is to see with the camera. (darker).....we use cameras thru the ice and at 10-15 ft they work great.

Thanks Beegone. Little cameras on a string are something eh?

I'll never forget it. Last winter, I brought the underwater camera to Vermilly for the first time. I attached the downviewing strap to the cam, lowered it down to about 2 feet above my glow hook.

Watching your minnow wiggle is fun. grin.gif

Next thing I know, I see 2 dorsal fins and a black shadow, doing a staredown with mr. chub.

Can we just fast foward to December please.

Jason,

Once the ice forms the water will clear up a lot.

Cliff

All I want for Thanksgiving is 4 inches of ice!

Quote:

All I want for Thanksgiving is 4 inches of ice!

Right on!! grin.gif

Cliff

I will watch for the ice conditions but me an 3 buddys are thinking about coming up in mid december, so hopefully there is enough ice to drive a atv on and be safe. whats the water temp up there?

Anyone is welcome to use our access. And if you catch someone around, you might even get some advice.

Mid Dec. should have plenty of ice for an ATV in most areas.

Water temps. are still hanging at around 47 degrees.

Cliff

Jason,

You get the eskimo shack yet?! We have to get up there this winter for a perch jerk! Charge up the marcum, me boy!

Quote:

Jason,

You get the eskimo shack yet?! We have to get up there this winter for a perch jerk! Charge up the marcum, me boy!

Ha!

No Portable.....yet. My eyes are glued to the classified forum grin.gif

"There should be walleyes and perch in many spots in that area. Early ice will have fish in 8' to 16' of water.

They will be in the deeper holes and sharp breaks as the winter wears on and the ice gets thicker."

Cliff, (or maybe Gary)

Does that apply to the west side as well? I only got out twice last winter and just plopped the portable over on Hibbing Point. We did OK but I plan on venturing out a bit more this year. Last weekend I found quite a few Eyes in 28-35' on the sharp breaks. Do you think they will be in the same places once we get around 5 inches. I know of a few spots, just looking for depth ideas.

Appreciate the help as always

The walleyes will be on the same breaks that you are catching them on right now. If they are not there they may have moved into the closest shallow flats, due to the fact that no one has been out for a couple of weeks because of unsafe ice conditions!

The daytime shallow bite usually ends in my area as soon as the 4 wheelers and snowmobiles start running around.

Cliff

Cliff, I am hoping to come up to a friends cabin this weekend. I know it's short notice, but I am hoping you can tell me what the ice might be. I am going to use his boat in a boat house on Stunts Bay. Do you think it will be frozen in? If so, do you think it will be thin enough to drive through?

Also, this guy can't fish worth beans and I would like to put him on some walleye. What depth do you recommend we start at? I read earlier that some were being caught 28-35', but I was thinking they would be shallower. Any advice would be greatly apprciated.

Kwiggy,

There was skim ice on Pike Bay this morning, so Stuntz Bay was also probably skimmed over. If there gets to be much more then 3/4 inch of Ice you may not get out to open water easily. An alum. boat would make it but a glass boat may be damaged by the ice.

I would start fishing at 30 feet and keep working deeper until I found walleyes. 50' plus may not be to deep!

Jigs /minnows or short Lindys with minnows will get them!

Cliff