Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Snake River  King

Hello just was thinking on mabey getting a trip going for Lake Vermilion. I have never fished it and was woundering hows the fishing in the winter? Is the ice safe or is it bad ice? do alot of people fish it? thanks

heartattack22

Last year was awesome for ice fishing. Caught more fish last winter then last 5 years combined. There are a few bad spots for ice. But for the most part the lake has good ice usually. Lots of people fish down by mckinley park. I like to venture out and find the fish myself...one day we released 11 fish that were too big...

Cliff Wagenbach

Snake River King,

Vermilion is a great lake for winter fishing!

For the most part the ice is safe to drive on once we get thick enough ice. I do not drive my truck out until we get at least one foot of good ice. 6" of solid, clear ice will easily hold a snowmobile or ATV.

As mentioned the McKinley Park area gets fished heavily, mostly because of a public access and plowed roads, plus it is a good walleye area early in the season to walk out from.

I have a couple of rental houses available. I also do remote ATV or snowmobile guided trips if you are interested in that.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

Ranckenstuff

Woohoo!

Renting Cliff's shack is a no brainer. Cliff has a nice house and he lets you use the Marcum, provides bait, jigs, and can take you to the shack. I had one of my best days ever out of his shack last year.

I've never been so pumped to ice fish Vermilly than I am right now!

Can anyone tell me about any spots to access ice fishing west of Big Way.... East of Oak Narrows wink.gif for a walk out spot?

laugh.gifbacktroller1@yahoo.com

JBMasterAngler

Besides walleyes...what does vermilion have to offer through the ice? I imagine it's popular for panfish?

Ranckenstuff

perch

heartattack22

perch, tulibees, and crappie if you can find them. Its a blast when you get into the tulibees on light tackle. They can put up a great fight!!! Beats not catching anything...

BEEGONE

Rackenstuff

Just hit your summertime holes! There are unlimited areas to ice fish just in that region of the lake. If we dont get much snow you can typically drive 4x4 anywhere except the no brainer bad ice areas.

Cliff Wagenbach

Jason,

You can go out of the Frazer Bay Landing. It is plowed out all winter.

I think that you may also be able to get permission to use the Shamrock Marina landing.

There should be walleyes and perch in many spots in that area. Early ice will have fish in 8' to 16' of water.

They will be in the deeper holes and sharp breaks as the winter wears on and the ice gets thicker.

Cliff

Ranckenstuff

Thanks guys!

I am getting a eskimo pro 1 man ice house soon. Seems to be a neat house. I am wondering if my camera this year wont work as well last year with this dirtier water?

back to work I guess!

BEEGONE

It seems like the deeper you go the harder it is to see with the camera. (darker).....we use cameras thru the ice and at 10-15 ft they work great.

Ranckenstuff

Quote:

It seems like the deeper you go the harder it is to see with the camera. (darker).....we use cameras thru the ice and at 10-15 ft they work great.

Thanks Beegone. Little cameras on a string are something eh?

I'll never forget it. Last winter, I brought the underwater camera to Vermilly for the first time. I attached the downviewing strap to the cam, lowered it down to about 2 feet above my glow hook.

Watching your minnow wiggle is fun. grin.gif

Next thing I know, I see 2 dorsal fins and a black shadow, doing a staredown with mr. chub.

Can we just fast foward to December please.

Cliff Wagenbach

Jason,

Once the ice forms the water will clear up a lot.

Cliff

BEEGONE

All I want for Thanksgiving is 4 inches of ice!

Cliff Wagenbach

Quote:

All I want for Thanksgiving is 4 inches of ice!

Right on!! grin.gif

Cliff

Snake River  King

I will watch for the ice conditions but me an 3 buddys are thinking about coming up in mid december, so hopefully there is enough ice to drive a atv on and be safe. whats the water temp up there?

shamrock7

Anyone is welcome to use our access. And if you catch someone around, you might even get some advice.

Cliff Wagenbach

Mid Dec. should have plenty of ice for an ATV in most areas.

Water temps. are still hanging at around 47 degrees.

Cliff

R. Miller

Jason,

You get the eskimo shack yet?! We have to get up there this winter for a perch jerk! Charge up the marcum, me boy!

Ranckenstuff

Quote:

Jason,

You get the eskimo shack yet?! We have to get up there this winter for a perch jerk! Charge up the marcum, me boy!

Ha!

No Portable.....yet. My eyes are glued to the classified forum grin.gif

DiverDan

"There should be walleyes and perch in many spots in that area. Early ice will have fish in 8' to 16' of water.

They will be in the deeper holes and sharp breaks as the winter wears on and the ice gets thicker."

Cliff, (or maybe Gary)

Does that apply to the west side as well? I only got out twice last winter and just plopped the portable over on Hibbing Point. We did OK but I plan on venturing out a bit more this year. Last weekend I found quite a few Eyes in 28-35' on the sharp breaks. Do you think they will be in the same places once we get around 5 inches. I know of a few spots, just looking for depth ideas.

Appreciate the help as always

Cliff Wagenbach

The walleyes will be on the same breaks that you are catching them on right now. If they are not there they may have moved into the closest shallow flats, due to the fact that no one has been out for a couple of weeks because of unsafe ice conditions!

The daytime shallow bite usually ends in my area as soon as the 4 wheelers and snowmobiles start running around.

Cliff

kwiggy

Cliff, I am hoping to come up to a friends cabin this weekend. I know it's short notice, but I am hoping you can tell me what the ice might be. I am going to use his boat in a boat house on Stunts Bay. Do you think it will be frozen in? If so, do you think it will be thin enough to drive through?

Also, this guy can't fish worth beans and I would like to put him on some walleye. What depth do you recommend we start at? I read earlier that some were being caught 28-35', but I was thinking they would be shallower. Any advice would be greatly apprciated.

Cliff Wagenbach

Kwiggy,

There was skim ice on Pike Bay this morning, so Stuntz Bay was also probably skimmed over. If there gets to be much more then 3/4 inch of Ice you may not get out to open water easily. An alum. boat would make it but a glass boat may be damaged by the ice.

I would start fishing at 30 feet and keep working deeper until I found walleyes. 50' plus may not be to deep!

Jigs /minnows or short Lindys with minnows will get them!

Cliff