• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River conditions for October 26

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I am comming up there this weekend and was wondering what size jigs a guy might need? I heard the current was a little fast. What is the water clarity,and water temp? Oh and most of all, hows the fishing been? Any info would be great. cool.gif

Read below and you will find all ya need. Or check out the Clementson website.

I would have lots of 3/8-1oz. jigs in gold, chart, glow white, pink.

When anchored you will need at least a 3/4 in a lot of areas. Controlled drift/slip drifts you can get away with a 3/8 oz. I would fish shallow if the current is still moving fats like it was last week.

I've only been here 6 Falls but none of the old timers around can remember a Fall flow like this!

Thought we were leveling out but started seeing entire trees coming down again on Sat.

The low pressure that came through Sat. didn't do us any favors either.

The current is requireing 3/4 -1 oz jigs to keep from swinging way out. Thought I had nailed it on Sat. when I tied on a big Buckshot rattle spoon and popped a nice fat 19 in about 2 minutes. Fished it for 3 hours with only 1 smallie so maybe not.

I fished the evening between here & B'dette without a sniff but we had a group that just killed 'em at the airport the last 2 hours of light.

Like Northlander said, Shallow is the key. Most fish are being caught in 8 - 12' right along the weeds.

Had 2 groups that did very well at Birchdale the last 2 days in spite of the conditions. I am actually a bit supprised that fishing is as good as it is.

Hate to preach but we had a group in that were grumbling when they pulled in and never stopped. They didn't do well and claimed that everyone else was lying about catching. Hard to fib about the buckets I saw heading for the cleaning shack and the digitals that are streaming into our email!

ATTITUDE can play a critical part in fishing and I believe your entire life! Smile d---it! Ok, sermon over.

Good to see all the familiar faces around here. Appreciate the folks stopping in to say hey, even if we couldn't come up for a room for them.

I really think the best Fall fishing is yet to come. Anybody out there get a water temp?

Just got back and the river is flowing fast. Wow. I have never seen that much current out there. On Saturday, we tried several spots in the river from the church to the windsock with little luck so we went out to 4-Mile Bay and tried it in 12 feet of water. Within 45 minutes we had 12 fish for 3 of us. We found a spot where it went from 9-15 feet and settled on 12. Everything we kept was between 16 and 19 inches. We threw back several small ones besides that. We did best on 3/4 oz chartreuse jigs. We also caught fish on orange and white too. If you're going up, pack heavy jigs because we found strong current in most places. 1/2 oz wasn't enough and 3/4 oz were barely enough. We saw several sturgeon and burbot caught in the river too. Good luck to all.

Ray1,

A group from Fargo/Moorhead was just up this past weekend. We had a successful weekend, despite the lousy weather.

Drop a line and I'd be happy to share what worked and didn't. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

Ray,

Just got back and ditto what Northlander & Doug/Dutchman say..

What I will add is, if they aren't biting change tactics!! One day the only way was to drop the jig on the bottom and let it sit, the next day it was a very agressive forward jiggin motion. Do not be afraid to mix it up.

Rod

Fished the river by Birchdale, sat, sun part of mon and did very well. I do not think i have ever seen the river so high/fast! We honestly felt that it would be a hard, hard, wknd. Between us 3 we avg. about 80 eyes a day sat and sun. Mon we fished only an hour and caught 3. Our biggest of the wknd was just a lil over 29in. and had several between 23-27. But mostly we caught 14-18 inchers. 1 oz jig on the vert with pink or white being the best color. One of our guys did real well with a 3 way set up. He caught alot more small ones 8-12 inches.

What happened to Gary at Luckys Bait? We always enjoyed chatting with him, now the "woman" that is there is.....well we won't be back.

Last thing are Rosey Reds illegal to use on the river, some guy told us they were and thats what we used all wknd, in fact we hooked 2 per jig. Will be heading up again middle/end of November and can't wait. Get em verticle and practice CPR

Here is a link to the guage site (this should be allowed link they aren't selling anything)

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?05133500

This will give you an idea of up to date conditions before you go up, looks like it has topped out but not falling yet. Just to give you an idea of 35000 cfs, it was 2000 cfs last April when we were up Sturgeon fishing blush.gif (that 35,000 cfs is up river to so its actually higher around Baudette, feeder streams influence) Its not at an all time high, but you can see the all time high date is in the 1940's! If you type in 31 days in the graph you can see the river has come up 9' in 1 month, this will effect fish placement a little bit grin.gif.

Has anyone tried pitching jigs shallow and bouncing em back out? I know with the stained water of the Rainy Eyes shouldn't be effected by light as much and the could be chasing shiners up shallow, my mom and dad said when they were there 2 weeks ago they saw lots of baitfish real shallow (1-3' shallow) I know its not the norm but the conditions are not to far off from RedWing in the spring and this is a very effective way to pull Monster eyes down there. I might be up there this weekend and Im gonna give it a rip, Im gonna try pitching ringworms, and see how it goes!

I treid it a bit but with all the weeds blowing down and coming off the shores it was real tuff in spots. I also did see a lot of Shallow Shiners down by Clementson. 6" to 4'.

I was thinking maybe some ringworms might work but no go. I would surely give it a shot though. Hopefully all the debry is blown down by now.

sure, pretty simple. three way swivel...1 line to your rod, one to a 1 oz sinker and one to a red plain hook on the other. he had his sinker snell about 12 inches long and his hook snell about 18 inches. Two minnows on the hook through the lip (rosy Reds), no slack line. He also had a glow bead on his snell. Hope that helps.

Berng,

Do a google on "Wolf River Rig" and you ought to come up with a pix or diagram that'll give ya a good visual.

Rod

I was just wondering if the current is still strong or if anyone thinks it will slow down by this weekend? Thanks

Ray1,

Refer to the first page of this topic and there is a link to the hydro data of the river (flow & depth) posted by RiverRat316. That ought to answer your question..

Rod

Ray1 -

Current Strong - Yes

Slow Down by Weekend - No

Just got back. Fished first day in river between Birchdale and Frontier. Was able to land 22 between 3 guys. Very fast current. Ended up anchoring and pitching jigs shallow.

Moved to the lake the second day. Hit Morris Point and caught over 65 fish that day. Hit Morris point again the third day and the fishing had slowed but still did well. Biggest fish of the trip was 6.5 lbs.

If you plan on hitting Morris Point, I recommend trailering over to one of the resorts and putting in there. The launch fee was only $5, you didn't have to fight the big waves to get there, and there wasn't any current which made it easier to trailer the boat.

Thanks for the update Zaraspook. Im guessing the river wont slow down for at least a week. Looks like the flow is still very high but dropping slowly.Lets pray we dont get any more rain!