Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vikingmeatwad

Tonka

30 posts in this topic

Anyone have any reports or water temps?

Are there many people fishing it yet with all the rain/cold we've had lately?

Hit Riley with no success last sunday and temp was 57. Crappies seemed to be scatter all over the place suspended but just caught a couple.

Thanks!

wow, no one must be getting out.

I hit Waconia tonite for a couple hrs and got skunked. Temp still 54-55.

i am going to go tommorrow somewhere. Ither hit Waconia or Tonka. Hope run into a few bass.

Fished Tonka for walleyes this afternoon. Water temp was 56. Marked lots of fish and had some solid bites, but wasn't able to hook anything. Wind started blowing from the straight north at about 30 mph and the temps dropped 10 degrees in about 3 hours as well. Perfect time to finish up and go watch the Vikings lose, lol.

was there alot of boats out on tonka this weekend?

There was quite a few... not as bad as a warm summer day, but still several. Most were either the big ocean cruisers or the smaller 14'-18' fishing boats.

I don't mean to change the subject, but I thought that spearing wasn't allowed on Tonka. At least I thought I read that in the regulation manual. Correct me if I'm wrong...

-Gregg B.

ill check right now. pretty sure your right with the muskie in it, but i could be wrong as well.

was out saturday fishing eyes at about 10 , got several mostly small except a couple. Then about noon I was attacked by an armada of sailboats, worst part about it was it forced the other boats to come within about 10 yards away from me so got sick of almost getting swamped and called it a day. Boat launch on saturday at noon was only about 10 spots away from being full (grays)

buoy's still out? Or do I have to rely on the GPS/Lakemaster chip.

Thanks!

still out on saturday but could be coming off any day now

Quote:

I don't mean to change the subject, but I thought that spearing wasn't allowed on Tonka. At least I thought I read that in the regulation manual. Correct me if I'm wrong...

-Gregg B.

You are correct, you cant spear on tonka.

That's what I thought... thanks for confirming, B&S.

-Gregg B.

anytime

Hi all,

What is the best ramp to use if I'm planning on working the Wayzata/Browns/Gray area? Looking for location to areas mentioned and the best place to return to a truck without it being broken into.

Thanks, Chris

Grays Bay

Grays bay is a sweet ramp - well it has 3 of them. The docks might be out though - not sure. confused.gif

I see your from MG. Take 494 S to 394 W. Take the 101 S exit. Can't miss it grin.gif

Docks were there last night...

Cool, thanks guys. Typically I use Carson's or am on the west end of the lake. Should be a nice evening!

Chris

Quote:

Fished Tonka for walleyes this afternoon. Water temp was 56. Marked lots of fish and had some solid bites, but wasn't able to hook anything. Wind started blowing from the straight north at about 30 mph and the temps dropped 10 degrees in about 3 hours as well. Perfect time to finish up and go watch the Vikings lose, lol.

Thanks for posting the temp, I'm sure it will drop 4 degrees or so by sunday.

Has anyone else been out? I don't think I will make it out until next week(Monday or wed)

Thanks

Yeah, me and my son were out on Tonka last night, Wed., Oct. 24 ... fished a spot that's been productive in the past in the fall. from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm ... beautiful moon, flat calm, 56 degrees water temp, likewise air, jigged fatheads in about 10 FOW ... and my son got a 17" and a 20" eye and assorted small stuff, and I got small stuff and no eyes. (not even a good pick-up) They're late this year on Tonka and Mille Lacs! -- DonMc

They're late because the water is too warm. Hang on once it drops into the 40's.

Cjac and I were out last night as well, actually my first time on Tonka this year so I really wasn't expecting much at all.

We struggled. Shoot... didn't catch a fish. We wanted to pull cranks so that is what we stuck with and boy was it difficult. Kept picking up a lot of floating weeds on the lines and fouling the cranks.

Appeared that most folks fishing at sundown were anchored on the outside weedlines.

Water temp was 55-56 which was flat out shocking! I would agree that is a good indicator that temps need to drop.

Well at least you know Hanson and I are honest in our catch reports, or lack of in this case. We got shut out....

Was not expecting 55+ water temps still, and the weed column was still thick, Anything inside 14 feet and we were in thick weeds. Once that cools off and they lay down a bit the Wayzata Bay area could be good. Sounds like Mr Stanley did well, always a tough call on which part of the lake to hit. Looking at the weather forcast it could be a few days still before they drop off, but looks like a gradual and not a "freezer" change.

Chris

Looks like Cjac and Hanson were on the east end. I was west grin.gif I had trouble with weeds if I got into 6ft depths but no floating junk issues. I'll attribute that to fewer cruisers to churn up the weeds out my way. Also my structure was mid lake and not attached to the south shore so everything floating probably got blown away from it Tuesday.

I did not get out today as I got home later than I wanted.

Anyone have temps or reports? I am going to get out mon or tues nite after work.