• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling the River

I've fished the Rainy ever fall for the last 10 years. Every year we've stayed at one of the resorts near the bay and have always jigged in gap, bay and river. Back in my home territory I've begun to have some success trolling cranks on St. Croix. I'm interested in using the same technique on the Rainy, but have never seen anyone trolling.

Have cranks produced in the fall for anyone else on this great river, or would I be just wasting my time? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If you can keep the weeds off your line you will catch fish trolling Reefruners and whatever shiner imatating lures you have. Green and blues with silver work good as do the golds and at times hot colors.

The water was moving fast and a lot of weeds to clean off your lures.

Yepper people do get them on cranks. I tried for a bit last week but gave up as the grass/debris made it a hassle. I probably should drag the cranks a bit more often in the fall but I am usually suffering from crankbait burn-out after a long summer of openwater trolling on the main basin! I always look foreward to doing the jig/bait thing come the fall season.

So it sure would'nt hurt to give the cranks a try if conditions allow, if not anchor on your favorite spot and jig jig jig!

fiskyknut

I've hit the River for the last 9, 10 years around this time. Come up with a large group (50-80 guys)and about 1/3 of us pull cranks. We have a big fish tourney at the end of each day with everyone dropping $10 in the kitty. That said you have some serious efforts to get that big fish. Nine times out of ten the big fish comes from that 1/3 pulling cranks. Deep HJ#10 in clown, gold/black and firetiger, Shad rap #7-9 clown, perch, craw, Thundersticks red/black, firetiger, red lip (old school storm colors or Dave's Kaboom baits). These are a few of the steady options in no order of preference because every day is different. Pulling against currenty in 10-16 ft of water. You still have to be flexible. If the jig guys are getting them and cranks are not, switch. You may not catch as many but most times you will end up getting bigger fish. Not to upset any commited jig guys this has been my experience most years I've been up there this time of year. Your current water clarity wouldn't turn me off cranks but the crud content in the water will make it a bit more frustating. Split shot a couple feet in front of the plug can help with that.

Always at Ballards. Talk to Gary about a package deal and reserve in July, August time frame. We have always done Oct. 15 week but would suggest teh week after if possible. The've always done a great job and I know they do a good # of group deals each fall.

• 4 weeks later...