Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fellowx

Is it too late to fish the Croix?

13 posts in this topic

I have some days off next week that I would like to go fishing at St. Croix. Is it too late in the season to fish the croix, has the fish turned off? What are some of your experiences. Just want to get in on some action before the boat gets stored away. Will be happy with any kind of fish whether it be sheeps, crappies, silvers, or bass.

It's not too late.

It is just turning on, I have done real well all the way into mid November, grab some minnows and jigs and have fun.

Can you fish with 2 poles at the Croix? If so, will it be okay to cast one line out with a minnow and jig with another pole?

2 lines are allowed.

One tip, if that is your presentation, try using a 3 way rig w/ the drop weight being a jig. Search "Dubuque Rig" or "Wolf River Rig" if unclear.

stick baits that dive to or will get to any structure, you'll do ok too.

Quote:

One tip, if that is your presentation, try using a 3 way rig w/ the drop weight being a jig. Search "Dubuque Rig" or "Wolf River Rig" if unclear.

Dave,

What weight & type of jig do you like for the dropper? I messed around with these last fall but wasn't real confident.

Frustrating time of the year to fish with all the leaves in the flowage.

For whatever reason, this seems to be the best time to fish the Croix. The pleasure boats are almost gone, and the duck and deer hunters are flocking to the woods and slews. Last wednesday my partner and I managed 9 nice keeper saugers. Two of which were 20". We returned about 15 fish. The white bass were hitting well also. Will be out again on tuesday. Good Luck

Quote:

Is it legal to fish a three way with a jig head as a weight and another hook above? Does that count as one lure? Just wondering I am going to give it a shot this weekend.

It should be legal...but then you'd only be able to use 1 line.

ok that makes more sence to me that you could only use one line then, thanks