• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Im gonna give it a try...

Guest Kyle

Well I havent been out in the bow stand since 2nd weekend. IM headed up north tomorrow, and am gonna give a darn good try this weekend. First weekend I got scented by numerous deer that were close enough to shoot, but wouldnt take the step I needed to give me a good shot. Then I got smart and bought a pair of rubber boots. Second weekend, I didnt see anything, so I moved stands a little bit. I have never killed one with my bow, so I get pretty excited. Hopefully I can put one in where it needs to go. Anyone got any tips for staying calm? IM also wondering if/what time of the day to use my grunt call. I have been reading that people are seeing bucks chasing does a little bit.

Until you shot your first, the nerves are going to be working in full force. Every deer you shoot it will be somewhat better. If I could suggest one thing, I would shoot even a doe if it offers a good shot. I know everyone wants Mr Big but if you wait until that deer strolls by and have never shot a deer with your bow, you might choke.

After many years of bow hunting, I still draw back on all deer that walk by me in range. I learn from this when I can draw so the deer does not see my movement and after that its almost always a killing shot.

You will need to learn when to draw back for sure or you will get caught by the deer. I always try to draw back when the deeris coming my way and its vision is blocked by a brush pile or a large tree. Drawing back on a deer when its in open view can be very diffucult. Another tip, if your hunting a field edge from a tree, make sure your in at least a few feet so the deer does not skyline you or it will be good bye. Also, try to have some tree limbs in the tree you are hunting right behind you to break up your outline.

There are many good archers on this forum and I'm sure others will chime in with more tips to help you get that first trophy.

Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Quote:

After many years of bow hunting, I still draw back on all deer that walk by me in range. I learn from this when I can draw so the deer does not see my movement and after that its almost always a killing shot.

You will need to learn when to draw back for sure or you will get caught by the deer.

There's are great tip, I never thought of that... thanks HL!

I have a really old bow, and the let off is almost non existant. So draw timeing is pretty significant for me being I just cannot hold it back for very long compared to shooting a newer bow. Next season I will be out there with a newer bow.

On a different note, would you recommend usuing and kind of deer scent, or is there a good time to use a grunt call?

I love bow hunting! It is such a rush, but I just want to ge one under my belt so bad. HL- I plan on just shooting a doe. I dont want to take a fawn, but a yearling or a doe would be awesome! I feel like if I get one under my belt, I will be less nervous about everthing, and be more confident about what I am doing/can do out there.

Since you cannot hold back on the bow to long, you will need to draw when the deer is looking elsewhere or get it to be interested in something else. A grunt call may get the deer to come in but I would not grunt when it is right by you or the deer will know where it came from and may spot you. A little scent on the ground may help getting the deer interested in it and give you the time you need to get drawn back.

The other thing you will need to do is maybe just sit and wait until the deer is looking in another direction and then draw.

It will work as usually a deer will come through walking and stop and look around and thats a good time to draw. If you are at full draw and the deer is still walking, what I will do is make a small low volume noise and a deer will almost always stop and look around and then you can whack it.

Just try and wait and it will work for you.

Man, I've shot lots of deer and the excitement never seems to go away for me. That's why I'm there.

The biggest thing I do to calm myself is visualize before the deer come as to where they may come from, where they may be, how far away, when I might be able draw, where to hold, etc. Sounds a bit Zen-like, but it works.

That first deer is a thrill of a lifetime. Savor it. Enjoy. Good luck! We're all rooting for you.

Donbo, great tips as I seem to always try and do the same thing. This is what makes this forum so great is all the archers on here that are willing to help out a fellow archer.

Thanks to all for the help and great tips.

Something that works for me is to try and decide as soon as possible if the deer you see is a deer you want to take. If so then I tell myself over and over to pick a "spot" on the deer and make a good shot. If it is a buck I "try" not to look at the headgear once I have decided to take him, not the easiest thing to do but it seems to help the nerves.

With both deer i arrowed this year, they were in plain sight when i drew back, no branches or anything to cover, but i waited (like everyone else said) till they had their head down or were looking away. the big boy i harpooned on tuesday night was actually making a scrape about 8-9 yards from my stand when i drew back. also with your question about the grunt call, im no expert, but with the buck i shot tuesday night i grunted twice in fairly quick succession when he was in sight about 80 yards away, he looked towards me for awhile i waited awhile before i gave him and third grunt and he came right to me like he was on a string. i dont know if its good to be grunting away when your sitting in your stand if you cant see any deer? whats everyone elses thoughts on that?

[i dont know if its good to be grunting away when your sitting in your stand if you cant see any deer? whats everyone elses thoughts on that?

With the rut in it's early stages now, I will blow on my grunt call every half hour or so. Usually 3 grunts about a second apart. It has worked for me often enough to know that it can be effective. Doesn't work all the time, but 2 - 3 times a year is pretty commmon. I'll often add a doe bleat from a can call. IMO this is the best call going from now through November.

i feel it doesn't hurt! i have had bucks come in looking around.( usually these are small bucks)so i feel that they heard the call and was looking for the deer that make it.

Well like i said, im no expert but i have been asking alot of questions of people that do know pretty good whats goin on, and they have said that part of the problem of rattling or grunting when you cant actually see the deer is that alot of the deer you arent seeing are seeing you before they get close enough. I guess if your just doing 3 quick grunts every half an hour thats probably not really a problem though.

Harvey-

Thanks for the great tips. This is why I like this forum so much too! Thanks to all for all your input as well. Keep it comeing, as a beginner I feel that I can never have to much advice!

Thanks H4L

I usually try to draw when the deer is making that last step to be in the clear. If it stops behind something I don't begin my draw until it starts to move again. Very seldom have I been caught drawing while doing that & unless the openings small & the deer won't stop, you are going to get the shot at that point.

I would agree on deer in a field where they're wide open & they just have to get in range, you need to wait until they look the other way or drop their head, or something or they'll more times then not catch you. If they look your way once you've started to draw, just finish it & shoot them, it's your best chance. If you stop mid draw they'll probably lock on you until you start shaking anyway. If you're in position to draw, but haven't actually started, just freeze, they may give up on you or turn away & take a few steps before checking you again, you have to draw immediately then & shoot as soon as they stop.

I blind call quite a bit, depending on how much I'm going to hunt a stand, once mid October rolls around. I won't usually do it for the first 1 - 1 1/2 hours on stand, but after that I'll call every 30-45 minutes. If I've can called in a location before I may mostly do grunts the next time. If it's your last hunt in a spot before gun season I wouldn't be afraid to be pretty agressive unless you've got a deer patterned that you're pretty sure is coming at a certain time anyway, then I'd probably just be quiet unless it's getting late & you don't think they're coming. Have your bow in hand immediately after calling, especially with the can, as if they're close when you call they may come running in within seconds.

Saturday I called about every 30 mins. Grunts mixed with doe bleats. I saw 4 does, but I am almost positive they werent there because of the calling. They were using a heavy 4 wheeler trail about 60yds to my right. So I got down at 10:30am and moved my stand. I didnt see anything the rest of the weekend. However, after I moved my stand, I decided to take a walk back to where my stand was(two moves ago) at the begining of the season. Got back there, and heard what sounded like two bucks fighting. Turned to look and there was a GIANT buck bounding away from me. What I thought was two bucks fighting was his massive antlers getting stuck in branches on his way out. That was the first big buck I have ever seen while doing any kind of deer hunting. It was awsome, and really made my weekend. I am done for the season with the bow. Now that rifle season is approaching, and ducks and geese will be heading down in november, I really wont have time to sit in the bow stand. It was a fun season, but next year I will have a new bow set up, and am going to try to pattern the deer a bit more. Thanks for any and all advice any of you have thrown my way this season. Who knows, maybe if I get a chance, I will hit it one more time in late november or december.

H4L

Man you're hanging it up with the best two weeks of the bow season remaining. Bowhunting & waterfowl hunting do definitely conflict with each other. I've shot very few ducks since I got bowdicted.

Yeah what bigbucks said. Anyone can shoot a deer with a gun but nothing compares to a bow hunt kill. I like the fact that duck hunting has been poor the last few years in my area as I didn't have the urge to duck hunt as much. The best time of the year IMO for big bucks is right around the corner, if not here already. Man grab that bow and go after MR. BIG.

I know what ya mean fellas, but I will be in SD pheasant hunting this comeing weekend, and then next weekend is rifle opener. From what I have heard, once gun hunters get in the woods, it totally screws up bowhunting for everyone. If ya'll think its really worth going out after the rifle season, then I will definatley give it a go, especially if waterfowl from canada dont push down until mid november. What do ya think?

If you haven't tagged out at the end of November, give it another try. I have seen many nice bucks settle down when the shots fade. Most of the time, I have a .22 and am squirrel hunting, but still amazed at how the bucks will find food after the rut and feed before sun down, these can be some of the easiest to pattern.

I have a friend that shoot 140+ class bucks every year with the bow. He shoots his doe early in the season, and then waits for the rut to tag the buck, he usually gets his buck opening weekend of gun season, he swears it is the best time to bowhunt, this will be my first year bowhunting the 3A gun season, I have always pheasant hunted.