Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Bigcat1

live birds

Bigcat1    0
Bigcat1

Anyone know where i can buy some chukkars or pheasants this fall for working the dog? anywhere between perham-fargo? the guy who would sell me some last year lost a bunch of his this summer to skunks or something.

Tom7227    22
Tom7227

It would be a lot cheaper to use pigeons? I live in the Twin Cities and found a pigeon racer that sold me some of his culls. I have learned that with a pointing dog you want to flush the bird and not shoot it so the dog realizes that it can't win by trying to catch it himself.

Using pheasants to train could also cause some problems if the bird starts flailing or spurring the dog.

rundrave    66
rundrave

Quote:

I live in the Twin Cities and found a pigeon racer that sold me some of his culls. I have learned that with a pointing dog you want to flush the bird and not shoot it so the dog realizes that it can't win by trying to catch it himself.

this is what we use, not to mention the homer's fly right back to the pigeon loft and you can just keep using the birds over and over

NELS-BELLS    36
NELS-BELLS

What do you do to the bird to keep it from flying away as soon as you let go of it?

cw642    0
cw642

North American Gamebirds Association (NAGA) has a web search for birds in any area. I think the area SE of St. Cloud has to be the meca of gamebirds in the state. I think within 20 miles from my house I can name 7 or 8 people who raise for sale not to mention the guys that do it for themselves.

CW

Tom7227    22
Tom7227

In order to keep the bird from flying away you tuck the bird's head under a wing and swing it around in a circle 5-6 times. Then you put it in some grass so it has some cover. It should sit there as long as you don't disturb it.

I've learned that when training a pointing dog you want to have two people. One holds the dog by the training lead while the other goes in and flushes the bird. With a pointer you want to let the bird fly away, but let the dog chase after it. Apparently the dog learns that it can't catch the bird and so the pointing is reinforced rather than having the dog jump the bird and flushing it. I am not sure, but I suspect that you just let a flushing dog get at the bird.

There's a whole line of training involved in this process and it also involves introducing the gun while the dog is excited about the bird. You'd be well advised to get a video or read a book about it. There's a great thread at the top of this forum where a very thoughtful guy has listed all sorts of training materials. Check it out.