Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Redman21

Mink and Muskrat

Redman21

Im relatively new to the whole trapping thing, but ive done my home work and cant wait to get out there. Does anyone think that mink and muskrat will be worth trapping when the season opens up soon. what about coons?

any input appreciated! thanks

LABS4ME

Welcome Redman!

I know little about trapping, but I'm sure many members will chime in. Also one of the mods on this board is Alaska222, I'm sure he can give you some good tips as he traps heavily.

Hope you have a productive season!

Good Luck!

Ken

Hammer Handle

I used to trap with my Dad many years ago.

This year, I will be trapping again.

The experience and just to be out there is worth it to me. If I make any money, that will be a bonus. I should "easily" get 100 muskrats plus coons, mink, and fox. I have a very large area to trap.

HunterLee

If you are in trapping for the money in Minnnesota you are going to be broke. I trap quite abit, got a couple coyote sets out now, but manage to get 4 skunks so far. Mink, rats and coons, are all worth going after, but unless you run alot of traps and get lots of critters, it won't pay. I'd guess from a county buyer your going to get 10 or so for a mink, 2-3 for a rat, and coon 10-20 depending of size, they are up this year. That of course is sold on the carcass. Just have fun and enjoy yourself and the money you "make", will be something to put into more traps and equipment or something to have night out with the wife. Good luck.

Hammer Handle

True, that is what I was trying to say. I should be getting lots of animals and my traps are all free...and I STILL will be lucky to make money.

The key is...the experience alone will be worth it.

Redman21

Thanks for the info. when would mink muskrats and coons be prime rather? i know trappings not an extremely lucrative hobby, but i'd rather not trap until they're prime, not to waste critters.

thanks

HunterLee

My advice to you is to start on the opener or when you have the time. Where i trap up here is that i get a week or so of open water, then it maybe froze solid. So i start right away and go as long as possible. But coons, should be good enough right away, mink maybe a week or so after the opener, and rats i couldn't tell you. I called a yote and shot him and skun him last night and he wasn't to far from prime, little blue but not bad. Get em when you can is my motto, and sell you coons early, because with the price up a bit, everyone and there uncle will be out and it will probly end up like the rats were last year. I have been doing a little coyote trapping/calling for the last week.