• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weight for Pheasant gun?

311Hemi

I am looking for a new pheasant gun and wondering what the max weight I should be looking. I will also double as a duck and grouse gun. I currently shoot a 1960's A5 that is getting to heavy to carry all day in the field.

I have been looking at 12 ga.'s that weight around 7-7.5 lbs.

Just not sure if this is enough of a drop in weight from the A5 since I have never carried or shot anything else.

Left handed Benelli Super Montefeltro 26" barrel.

Just under 7 lbs.

Light & quick pointing. I love the forend, thin like an over/under.

The best IMHO!

Depends on what you want to spend. Got tired of carrying my O/u, was heavy and had nice wood I didnt want to scratch it up . Wanted lite gun with synthetic stock. Looked at quite a few. Finally bought a Benelli M 2. Excellent, lite gun for everything. I know they have went up in price since then. Patterned the gun as soon as I got it, went to No. Dak and got a triple the first day and a double the next. Had never done that before. Its a sweet gun. Looked at some cheaper guns, but this one fit me well and was what I was looking for. I think it pays to invest a little more for exactly what you want.

Thats kind of the issue....I have been looking around 500-600. I am only looking for an Auto loader. Would prefer a camo gun or synthetic....don't need anything pretty as I plan to use this gun so fit and function are most important.

I think Cabelas has the Montifeltro for $919 right now with a $125 instore gift card. But is't a little more than I am looking to spend.

They also have a Browning Evolve for $1100-$250(at the register) = $850 Then there is a $100 rebate from Browning to get the cost to $750. This is a light gun (6-6.5 lbs)....but I don't know much about it and think it may kick a bit if I am shooting 3" shells.

I have been looking at a Franchi I-12 in Max 4 with a 26" barrel for $600. It weighs 7.6 lbs.

Ok - this should start the debate. I love the Montefeltro. The fit and finish is fantastic and it certainly is light. However, I didnt have 900 bucks to spend so I bought a Stoeger 2000. It weighs 7 lbs and was under 400 bucks.

I am a Benelli fan for auto-loaders. I have hunting partners that use Remington 1100's or the 11-87 and they love them. They are a little easier on the pocket book. I also have an A-5 (early '80's version) and you are right on, they are too heavy to carry all day.

I have and use an 1100 & 1187 and would recommend both. Lightweight and effecient, although I think that's just me. grin.gif

7-7.5 pounds is what to expect for an autoloader. Beretta, Benelli, and Browning (and I'm sure other makers) all have autoloaders in that weight range. Get the one that fits you the best and treat it nice.

Quote:

7-7.5 pounds is what to expect for an autoloader. Beretta, Benelli, and Browning (and I'm sure other makers) all have autoloaders in that weight range. Get the one that fits you the best and treat it nice.

The big question is will a gun weighing this much be considered much lighter than an A5 in terms of all day hunts?

I would assume so but don't have any experience myself.

Browning does have a Evolve that is a litle over 6 lbs, but I think it would probably kick to much with 3" shells.

Unless you are small in stature you'll be fine with a 7.5 pound gun. I don't know what an A5 really weighs but according to Cabelas they have a 12 gauge 28" A5 that weighs 8 pounds 11 ounces. That is insane. You will for sure notice a difference between that and a 7.5 pound gun.

As for the Evolve. If you want to shoot 3" mags in a 6# gun go ahead but I'm telling you now it'll kick the living tar out of you.

Stick to the 7-7.5 pound autoloaders.

one thing to note, you dont need 3" shells for pheasant hunting. there is a good string of posts on here about shells, but the Federal 1 3/8 oz of #5s at 1500 fps are just plain awesome. I keep track of every bird shot and my records are very clear that this is the shell to use.

I cannot say enough about my Beretta. Or any of our groups (9 guys I hunt with have them). No issues.

I shoot 2 3/4....1 3/8 Fiocci #6 for pheasant. The 3" is because I want the option when duck hunting.

Not sure if they still make them or not....I shoot a Browning Fusion. Very light....light recoil. Around the $800 mark. Keep it clean and you wont have problems.

I just picked up a Browning Evolve last week and went to the game farm with it on saturday. Love the gun it's light weight for all day walking. I hardley even noticed the kick and I was using #5 Fiocci gpx. One thing with the steel shot Browning dosent recomend any thing bigger than 2 shot so it is ok for ducks not geese.

I don't have the new Remington but I got to fondle one in our store for a few weeks. Rumor has it Remington slowed down production to put in some new upgraded parts because ther were some problems with shell ejection(timing and hangups). Many, many of the first 5,000 105s went back to the plant. Now that they have been putting in the new upgraded parts these guns have been a lot more reliable. I'm hearing that if you get one with a serial # over 6,000 you shouldn't have any problems. MIND YOU NOW, this is what I'm hearing, Truth or not? I'd still wait at least six months to get some more consistent and favorable reviews. As far as my opinions on the look and feel of the gun I have to say I was very impressed. The gun is very appealing to the eye with the carbon titanium reciever. Pretty nice wood with sharp checkering. The gun is well balanced and points very well and I believe it will fit most shooters. If you are into the Remingtons I'd take a serious look at the 1100 G3. It's more closely related to the 11-87 than the 1100. This gun has gotten off to a real good start with a lot of good reviews from real shooters. As opposed to gun mag reviews which are usually a bunch of crap because they get paid to give good reviews(advertising,ect.). For the record the Cti 105 weighs in at about 7 lbs.

I have narrowed it down to two 12 guage guns:

-Winchester Super X2 Field Model (wood grain)

-Franchi I-12 (Max 4 Camo)

Both about the same weight. I beleive they are both 3". They both shoulder nice. The Franchi does come with adjustment plates for the stock and 5 chokes. SX2 comes wit 3 chokes.

I've got a Franchi I picked up last year and like it a lot. Kicks a little bit, but its nice and light. Good looking gun.