Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin4aLivin

Minnetonka Walleyes

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I normally head up to Mille Lacs 4 or 5 times starting around this time for the fall walleye bite. However, my wife just had our third kid and time is priceless right now. I live in Burnsville and have lived in the Twin Cities my entire life and have never fished Minnetonka. Just wondering if anyone out there can give me a few pointers on where to start. If anyone is ever looking for company I would love to tag along to get the "feel" of the lake. Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it!

I was thinking the samething about Tonka. I too usually head up to Mille Lacs a few times in fall to do the night troll but with the price of gas and the tight slot it hardly seems worth the trip. I am all for catch and release but also like have a few for the fry pan as well. Maybe I'll see ya on Tonka. I will be in a red Tyee give a shout if you see me.

Three options - jig and minnow the sharp breaks/ mid water structure. Wayzata and Brown's bay and Brackett's point are good areas. Second hit the channels - the area around Gray's Bay is good after dark but other neckdown areas work too. Cast stick baits or pitch jigs. Third troll the large weed flat edges close to steep breaks with stick baits like HJ12s or 14s. Speed should be around 1.5 to 2mph. Walleyes are scattered on Tonka. You will need to do some searching almost every trip out. There are no spots that always have fish like Mille Lacs. Well maybe a few but my lips are sealed there.

Mark pretty much summed it up.

I'll be out there tonight trying a new "spot on a spot". I'm going to give slip bobbers a try since I think I've pinpointed a great location. If it doesn't pan out then it will be back to the old tried and true producers.

Can't go wrong with jigs or cranks. In my opinion, jigs will produce better now, but come the first weeks of November I'll be switching to cranks for bigger fish.

Yeah, i was thinking about heading out there for some walleyes as well..

I have some old GPS coordinates.. I hope i can still catch my limit of walleyes.

Things could have been better...

Only fished from 6:30 until 8:00. Biggest problem was that the batteries on my GPS went dead minutes into the trip. So much for finding that "spot on the spot". Ended up drifting/trolling the weedline with jigs. Caught a plump 20 incher. That was it. Next time out I'll be better prepared. I also think things are going to pick up sooner than later.