Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sportland_Bait

October Reports- Sportland Bait and Tackle

8 posts in this topic

It has been a busy time for us around the bait shop. I guess fall is always that way. Some folks are busy calling us to put away their boats into our storage buildings for the winter and some are still out trying to get a few walleye fillets for the freezer. On top of everything my wife and I were blessed to have our first baby boy. So I’ve been trying to catch up on a little sleep and chores here at work. My fishing has been limited this week but our fishing guides have still been out there pretty heavy, especially on weekends. The fishing continues to be great on Gull. We’ve also heard some good reports from North Long and Pelican. The walleyes have been very active and biting on just about anything. Anglers have had good luck using redtail chubs, fatheads, rainbows, or shiners. A live bait rig or a Northland Fireball jig has been the go to set-up. The best depths have varied from spot to spot and day to day. Anglers have found the walleyes from up against the weedlines in 14 feet all the way out into the 40s. If you have a fish locator on the boat be sure to use it. Usually if you see one on the screen there are more down there. Try to keep your lines vertical, fish slow, and close to the bottom. In the fall that is the rule of thumb. We also have a great night trolling bite going on Mille Lacs. The last few weeks have been red hot for trophy fish on the rock reefs. For a true wall-hanger this could be one of the hottest bites going on in the country. A few people are setting their sights on the hunting scene now that the leaves are starting to fall. Duck hunters have had a pretty good start to the season. They are mostly seeing teal, wood ducks, and a few mallards. The smaller rivers seem to be holding the most birds. Bow hunters are starting to take some nice whitetails. A few 8 pointers have been taken so far. The deer hunting should only get better as they get more active in the next month. What a great time of the year. If only we had 12 months like this. Busy, busy, busy, its time to get my butt moving again. Good Luck everyone. Enjoy the season.

Jason Erlandson

Jason, thanks for the report... but most of all congratulations to you and your wife... It won't be too long and you will have a new fishing partner.

I haven't been on the water for several weeks thus I have not been in the shop. Busy Grouse hunting up north. I do hope to get out on Gull a few more times in the coming weeks.. Will stop in for bait when I go out.

Again, congrats on having a baby boy!!!! really great news.

Joel

Jason,

Congratulations to you and Renae on your new little one.

Hope all goes well,

Dan

Jason,

Congratulations on the new addition!

Jason,

Congratulations!

Thanks guys, It is pretty exciting. Since this is our first it will be a learning experience. I've found out that little boys like to wait until you are changing the diaper before they let it spray. Overall it has been great. Thanks again for all the kind words. I'll pass it on to my wife.

Jason Erlandson

Congratulations Jason. Karen and I had a great time with Todd fishing on Gull Saturday.

He took a picture for us so could you have him send it to us. Our email is ekkhomme@msn.com

Thanks, hope we get it.

Hi Earl, Todd stopped in today and said you guys had a great time. I gave him your mailing address so he could mail you the photos. Sounds like a pretty neat experience you had. Enjoy the pictures.

Jason Erlandson