• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Countdown to Pheasant Opener 07

Scott M

Gotta love pheasant hunting. Don't have to get up early and after two roosters you can be done for the day. Keeps wifey happy when you're not gone all day.

I won't be making it out on Opener as I'll be chasing waterfowl, but I'm sure it will be a heck of an opener with so much of the corn and beans taken out.

Anybody getting ready to head out? Who's getting pumped to go? Just 5 more days! What do you like to do to get ready? I'll usually lay out the clothes and make sure I have enough 5 or 6's on hand. If I had a dog, that would be where I would be putting most of my work in. I'll also make sure the boots are ready for some walking, give them a good workup of oil.

Kinda wish I could go but I had planned this duck trip for about a year. Good luck to everyone. Remember that land has to be posted only once for it to be legal. If in doubt, ask first.

Da Chise, Amen spent many years driving 16 + hours then get up a 4:00 to go set up, pick up, clean birds , chase birds then landowners till 11:00 PM for 10 days 2-3 times a year. Now when in a motel out west I hear those guys pulling out at 4:30 AM to beat someone to a point. i roll over and think about how half will be wet by 5:30 AM by stumbling in, going over top of waders or dog dumping a canoe. Then I roll over and coze back in for 3 hours. Pheasant hunting: golf with more rough, wet shoes, dogs and shooting birdies but eagles are frowned upon..

I'm pumped! Heading down to Marshall with the wife and dog. My favorite part of getting ready is working the dog. We hunted Sunday - ducks in the morning and hunt club pheasants late morning - too HOT! Will hunt Tuesday afternoon and maybe Thursday afternoon, before heading down Saturday morning. I, like you, lay all my clothes out, treat the boots, pack shells, dog collar, dog treats etc., in the hunt bag. My favorite part of the hunt (besides shooting roosters and watching dogs work) is when the dogs are down and taken care of, is the steak dinner, a couple adult beverages, good conversation about the days events and the morning to come. Hope everyone has a fun and safe opener laugh.gif.

if it all goes right; should have a limit of mallards and geese out of a cornfield before we even think about putting on the blaze orange. i always go waterfowl hunting the morning of minnesota's pheasant opener, and am always laughing when i drive by wpa's and other public lands to go duck hunting; there are guys out at the parking lots at 5 am waiting to pheasant hunt. crazy.

Took the dog for a little stroll about 3/4 mile from town this evening. Walked around the edge of a small CRP patch with a standing cornfield next to it. Was actually too early for the birds to be in the grass but still put up about 10 birds including a group of five young ones that you could just barely make out the two roosters that were in it. Dog is ready and things are looking good for Saturday. Bring it.

man I cannot wait, I haven't hunted pheasants like I will be doing for about 3 years and I need to break in my Benelli super black eagle 2. I also want to see what my two pups will do with their first live pheasant. shocked.gifgrin.gif

Can't wait...sitting at work dreaming about cacklin' roosters. I originally had next Thursday Friday off for a four day rooster rousin' trip the 2nd weekend...just handed in the PTO slip for Wednesday as well! Pheasant hunting the next 7 out of 10 days! Gotta love it.

i know youre supposed to wear orange for small game hunting but since its rifle season do i have to be ALL IN ORANGE FROM THE WAIST UP. vs just a bit of orange

One piece of Blaze above the waist methinks. But as mentioned, the more the better, roosters dont mind orange!

My Lab knows that something special is going to happen tomorrow. The gun is out, the gear is out, the hunting collar is out. I think that it is going to be a tough night of sleep. smile.gif More for him than me!

Good luck to all!

"hooks"

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.