Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmvikings

The right shot?

11 posts in this topic

I have been out of Minnesota for 13 years and I have a lot of shells that are Classic HI BRASS are these still okay for ducks???????

Thanks

You have to use steel for waterfowl, if the shells are not marked with STEEL on them, they're probably lead. The ultimate test is to take a magnet to the shells, if it attracts, they are steel, if not they are lead. The lead shells can be used for pheasant hunting on private land or Wildlife Management areas. I had a bunch of those Federal Hi-Brass shells, they were all lead 4's, I used them up pheasant hunting in SoDak and nowadays I just buy all steel so I'm not swapping back and forth.

blackjack, What shot do you use! I have been shooting 3" 4 shot steel. Do you have a good load?

I believe all Hi-Brass is lead.

I shoot 2 shot steel 95% of the time for both ducks and pheasants, I will use some #4 steel early in the duck season over decoys. Most of my loads are 2 3/4 inch also. I've always thought that 3 inch shells for pheasants were overkill and led to shot up birds but now this year I found a sale on 3 inch #2 steel shells so I plan on shooting some of them also. Will probably try to use those 3 inch shells later in the season.

#4 shot? I actually used BBB and BB. This definately brings the ducks down dead. Blown up? No way, two few of BBs for that and not if you head shoot them.

I can't seem to get a kill with anything higher than a #2 shot.

I tyically use 2's and 4's but i am considering BB and BBB. I have lots of it and it sure does drop them.

I like 3 shot just to be different from everbodys 2 and 4. tongue.gif No really though, it just shoots well for me, and it'll bring down geese too.

Amen to that "livintofish" I shoot 3's becuase it's right in between 2's and 4's. And I just got a goose with them on opener. It was dead when it hit the water.

I am also a #3 shooter. Great result from teal to honkers when they are in close.

You got to plan on buying #3's, which is a killer for me because I'm usually at the store going "2's and 4's? Where's the 3's??!!"