Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Would you pass it up?

6 posts in this topic

Got off early, headed for home, wife was stuck, car wouldn't turn on....long story short we replaced the battery in a couple hours of trying some things with a shorthanded group of inadequate tools.

Long story longer, called up a buddy, he sat on my stand, passed up an 8 pointer. I was a little shocked. I've been waiting for a deer like that but havent had many chances to go out. Missed mine tonight but gotta put priorities right.

Would you have passed a deer like that?

Depends on the size and the time of the year. I hunt all three seasons and alot. When i feel the need to shoot one I take a doe, i seem to get a buck every year. I try to take a big mature deer, otherwise i would let them walk, because the time I shoot the small one, si the time the big one comes by. I settle for a nice one or none, because I can shoot does and fawns to eat.

Depends.

This early in the season yes, I'd pass him up. If it's late in the season, I've hunted hard, and am still empty handed, I'd take him.

Depends on the size:

8 pointer with a 12 inch spread, I'm always passing.

8 pointer with a 21 inch spread, I'm shooting.

Many things to consider. Early season yes, and if he had very little mass and wasn't very wide then yes.

Now, if it was the biggest buck I had ever seen and had never harvested one that big then I would probably pull the trigger.

If he scores 125 or better I am shooting. Anything smaller than that I and letting it walk at this time of year. Once the gun seasons are over I might settle on something smaller. It also depends on how many antlerless deer I have shot in MN & WI. I won't shot a small buck just to put meat in my freezer.