Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer Handle

Best thing I taught my dog

6 posts in this topic

I am not the best dog trainer in the world and my dog does have some bad habits...but...I taught him to not "go" in the yard. He must have a place where the grass is tall or where I tell him he can go.

Even in his large kennel, he goes in the same spot where I don't mow.

I went to a friends house (with two dogs) this weekend and realized how lucky I am!

Do you have a large yard, or is your dog poopin on someone else's property?

If your neighbors live nearby, they will hate you. Be responsible for your dog, clean up after it!

I always tell people "it's better to find some of your own doggy poo in your yard, then your dead dog in my yard."

The best thing I have taught my dogs is "Dookie"-go poo on command. Give the command, wait a minute, clean it up.

Quote:

I went to a friends house (with two dogs) this weekend and realized how lucky I am!

?Lucky to have lazy friends that don't clean up after their dogs? Congrats!

Jameson,

Relax. You're taking partial info and filling in the blanks with worst case assumptions. The guy trained his dog to go in one spot on command. He should be commended. Most people now days don't train their dogs at all.

gspman

I took it as his friend must have a lot of dead grass from the "potty" stains. I will be training my dog to go in one area also. Nice work!

I have a 3 acre yard. I mow about half of it...half is tall grass and brush.

My dog "kennel" is a huge fenced in area. A portion of the area is not mowed.

So no, I don't have to pick up after my dog. And, if I do...it is all in one spot. The brush in the backyard is too thick for me to walk in, and if I do everything seems to be compost already.

I agree about the "other people" not picking up their dog business in the yard. I couldn't live with that!

When my dog is up at my father's farm, he walks down his 3/4 mile driveway about 1/3 of the way, and does his business in the tall grass, and always in the same spot. My dog in not tied at the farm and never leaves the yard without me and doesn't bother any of the farm animals.

This gives my dog a lot of freedom, and me with seldom cleaning up after him.