Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

WMAs in Lyon and Murray counties

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Was planning on trying some hunting either this year or next at some of the WMAs in Lyon and Murray counties (for pheasant). Where I hunt WMAs (Stearns, Meeker, McLeod, Sibley counties), they get pounded to death and never have that many birds to start.

Is it better or worse in Murray and Lyon?

Are these any good: Green Valley, Roster Flats, Amiret, Brakke, Sodus, Garvin, Beaver Creek, Buff, Shetek? Seems like there are way more WMAs down there, and maybe I can do some door knocking too.

Thanks for any input.

If you are going to go knocking on doors you should be out doing that right now.

There is a lot of WMA in these 2 counties. They get hunted just as hard as WMA's in other counties. Ya, they have birds but they are not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

there is a lot, but they really get pounded. Especally in the first three weeks! I've seen three to four groups on one piece all day long. You get a month into the season it gets better.

I agree, as Boiler said there are plenty down here... I am from Nobles County, just south of Murray. We are very passionate of our public grounds! There is a reason the roadside counts are the states highest... We have the most habitat! In Nobles County alone, I can tell you as a past President of the PF Chapter, that we have close to 1500 acres in Nobles County alone open to public hunting. Do they get hit hard, yes. The first couple of weekends of the season it is hard to find a hotel room in Worthington. And are there birds, yes, lots of them. We are happy to say that the support we get from our residents and members have made this happen. Come down and hunt, stop and fuel up, grab a bite to eat at one of the many small town diners, stay the night and do it again the next day. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, SW MN has very good bird counts, and it is because we have the habitat!

CC

muc33 hits pretty well on the head as do the other guys. The number one thing to do to help yourself shoot some birds down here on public or private land is come right when the corn is coming out. Now you have unpressured birds that have to be in the grass cover because the corn refuges are gone. That is the single best time to run into some of the easier birds if there is such a thing. The numbers are high and so is the pressure. The roosters get educated very fast. Don't think for a second this is South Dakota because of those roadside counts.