Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddsbyday

Duck opener on Leech???

8 posts in this topic

I will be up with my sons this weekend for duck opener. We will be in the Steamboat Bay area. I was wondering what the water levels are compared to last year. I also would like to know if I should bring my fishing stuff this year. I quit bringing it a couple of years back because the fishing was tough. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I think the water levels this year are very much the same as last year. If anything it might be up an inch or two from last year. I was there this past weekend doing some scouting but did not see alot of ducks. I did see some wood ducks and mallards but nothing else. Is anyone else seeing anything?

Saw a few in Moonlight Bay in July. Probably doesn't help though. I'd like to hunt Leech this year.

CB34, the last five years or so it seems to be a wood duck hunt primarily, we are about 4 miles up the Kabekona river by Benedict. It's all rice, a lot of cover and food but pretty poor hunting. I've hunted this area for over twenty years and the past ten have been poor, especially in the "local" mallard department.

Early season the jump shooting used to be excellent and now it just plan stinks, we still go, have fun but really shoot about as many geese as ducks.

Last year opener was the time I have hunted in the area. We managed a mixed bag of ducks. I would say 1/2 were woodies and 1/2 were ring bills. We were able to get some of the ringbills jumping pot holes but this year I have looked in the same locations and have seen only a few woodies. I guess this weekend will tell the story. Good luck to everyone who will be out there.

How about the fishing on the west side? Bring the rods or not? Weather man says rain and storms.

Well my scouting turned out to be accurate. There were numbers of wood ducks but I saw almost nothing else. For three of us we had our limit of wood ducks saturday in 20 minutes. We stopped hunting soon after that because wood ducks were all we saw. Got a couple on Sunday jump shooting.

Opener was very good. You are right I would say the water levels are 3-4 inches above last year. Nice mixed bag with teal making up the majority. The bonus was walleyes biting in the afternoon. I was pleased to catch a variety of sizes. 12 inches to 22. Released 4 fish over the slot. Leech is back.