Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedDog3

White Earth Lake - Fall fishing

16 posts in this topic

Anybody fish WE in the fall? I've fished it in the spring and summer with decent results, and would like to give it a shot when I'm in the area in the next couple weeks. Any tips or pointers?

Thanks

Walleye have now moved up into shallower water, minnows and crawlers with a plain 5' snell #4 or 6 short shank hook is my choice 90% of the time. Try 12-18 fow, near weeds. In my opinion fall fishing on W.E is the very best time of the year although its a lake you can catch walleye year around on. Good Luck o

Kingfisher,

Where do you put in at? I used to stay at New Horizon Resort many years ago.

Cedar Crest Resort, $5.00 for a launch with dock. The water is a little low so take care and keep your motor up as high as possible.

Thanks Kingfisher, Did you fish the Fall Cedar Crest Tourney this year? Or, don't they have that anymore?

Quote:

Walleye have now moved up into shallower water, minnows and crawlers with a plain 5' snell #4 or 6 short shank hook is my choice 90% of the time. Try 12-18 fow, near weeds. In my opinion fall fishing on W.E is the very best time of the year although its a lake you can catch walleye year around on. Good Luck o

Thank you for the response. Can't wait to get out there.

tofish, Yes they still have their fall classic, it was held a week ago last weekend. No I have not fished the tourney.

Red Dog, Forgot to mention if you are not familiar with the lake there are a few nasty humps that can take out your motor's lower end, there are some out from Wilkens Bay, but well worth getting in there for the walleye.

Which bay is Wilkens?

Quote:

Red Dog, Forgot to mention if you are not familiar with the lake there are a few nasty humps that can take out your motor's lower end, there are some out from Wilkens Bay, but well worth getting in there for the walleye.

Is Wilkens the bay on the north end? If so, I've seen those rocks while canoeing.

Thanks for the heads up.

If you take off from Cedar Crest and go straight across the lake to the east shore, take a right and then left (east) as you go around the first point, watch out for rocks! There is quite a bit of natural shore line in there. I've been fishing the lake for over 50 years, so the name of that bay may have changed.

I'm pretty sure it's called Wilkerson's bay. I was there a couple weeks ago during the fall classic(I didn't know about it) there must've been 80 boats in that tourney, i fished from 6 to 9 am and i had to leave due to every spot in the area i was fishing in had a boat on it, does anyone know the results of the tourney, from what i heard not many people were finding fish.

I heard there were around 200 fish caught but other than that I have no info on it. I was thinking about running out there and giving it a try this weekend. If I head out there I will check in the lodge and see what the results were.

Zachp; Thanks for correcting me, I think you are right on the name, but we have been calling it Wilkens for years. I saw the results of the tourney in the lodge, I believe there were 75 teams, the largest walleye was 4#, didn't recognize any of the entries and don't recall who the winners were.

Thanks fellas. Stinkin' White Earth! I love the lake, but man... it really kicks my butt when it comes to fishing walleyes. I have never had a really good day out there despite the many good reports I hear from the lake. I've got plenty of area lakes that I can consistently go to and catch walleyes at, but White Earth isn't one of them. Ironically, my MOL has a place on the lake, so we're there quite a bit.

I went out there for the morning last week after the tourney and it was a bit slow, I caught about 2 dozen walleye's that were from 10" to 13", all on either pulling rapalas or large redtails, the little guys are putting on the feedbag, I was using 5" redtails and some of those hungry little fellas had them halfway down their gullets and i was hardly giving them any line, I was able to get 3 eaters right at 15" early in the morning, about right at sun up and in 5 to 7 feet of water.

It seems that I have my best luck on the bigger fish during summer, last spring and now this fall all i have been able to catch have been the little guys. Maybe I just need bigger bait...6"-8" sucker minnows? shocked.gif