• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

.300 Winchest Mag. grouping

Lund4Fish

I bought a Ruger M-77, .300 Win. Mag. a few years ago and have been trying to find load that shoots tight groups (1" or less). I reload and have been able to come up with loads for my wifes .270 and my 30.06 (both Ruger M-77's) that shoot 1/2" - 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I've been trying to come up with a load for my .300 that shoots similar, but no luck so far. I've started about 5 grains below the max recomended powder charge and then working up in .5 grain increments to the maximum loads with 165, 180 and 190 grain bullets using CCI Mag primers and both IMR-4871 and RL-22 powders, but I haven't been able to do any better than about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" groups. I know this is OK for hunting, but I'd sure like to see something a little tighter. Anyone have a similar rifle that has developed a good pet load for it?

I have a Savage 111 in .338 Win Mag that gave me similar fits.

I started with my old favorite Nosler Partition (210gr IIRC) and 4350 powder. The best I could get out of that was about 2.25 inch groups at 100 yards.

Next I tried 4831 with the same bullets, and it was a tad better, but not much.

I moved on to Reloader 19, and got about 2 inch groups.

Next, I tried the various loads of the above mentioned powders with Speer bullets, anf the groups were 1.75 to 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

Finally I tried some Barnes 210 gr X bullets, and 4350 powder. I got 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups. Better, but I still wanted tighter groups. 4831 improved a bit, but the real break through was with Reloader 19 and the Barnes 210 grain X bullet. I got .75 to 1 inch groups with 70 grain powder load. It smarts a bit on the shoulder, this is what this particular gun shot well with.

Some guns shoot various loads with good accuracy, some are a bit more fussy. Have fun, mix up slower or faster powders with different bullet combos (within published data, of course) and take good bench notes.

Having been a die-hard Nosler guy, I was a tad reluctant to move to Barnes. After 3 elk and a bunch of whitetails, I have NO regrets.

what bullets are u using i have browning A-bolt 300 wsm

i can get all three bullet holes to touch about 1" to 3/4" group at 100 yds using 180 sst hornady 66.5 grn imr 4350 cci large mag rifle primers

ps drop elk in tracks with one shot last year grin.gif

I've done < 1" groups at 100 with my A-bolt stainless in .300 Win Mag. I tried alot of factory ammo and without a doubt the Federal Premium in 200 grain trophy bonded is IT for my gun.

Sometimes you don't have load your own to get what you want.

H1000 has worked for me. Inch or a little less (3/4-best) with 190 gr. bullets.

WG

Thanks guys for the feedback. From what I see by the comments it appears that the heavier loads shoot a little better. I had been trying to work up an accurate load using 180 grain hornady SST bullets and couldn't get any better than a 1-1/2" grouping and most were much worse than that. I've just recently tried some 190 hornady BTSP's and they shot better. I got shot 4 shot groups with those and had a load of 69.5 grains of IMR-4831 that I had 3 shots touching and 1 about an inch away from the 3 touching. Much better. I'll keep working with the heavier bullets and try a couple more powder combos.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.