Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wink72

East End Reports???

13 posts in this topic

Heading up to the cabin for the last time this year and was wondering how the fishing has been on the east end...notably Seine and Bleak Bays. Have the hogs started feasting? Has the lake turned over? Any particular depth, bait or presentation working particularily well? Thanks for any and all responses. And...maybe 1 last question...how are the leaves?

Hey Wink,

I'll have to leave the East end reports to someone who has been there recently. We've been catching a lot of big fish, but haven't been traveling that far. Landed a nice 28 inch walleye last night. Leaves are starting to change, and fall is truly in the air this morning. I think it is fair to say that yes the hogs are feeding, and yes those areas in which you mentioned will be producing. Good Fishing Wink!

RD

Thanks, RD. Any chance I could could bug you for bait reccomendations? Chubs? Shiners? Ciscos? Rainbows? Night crawlers. It should be a great weekend...and lucky enough to go with my wife on our anniversary.

wink

Shiners are a tough bait to beat in the fall, but I'd suggest mixing in some chubs also. Rainbows have been in short supply.

RD

Help, I have been on the lake all week and only boated 9 eyes and 4 were in redgut bay. We are staying at a resort by Int Falls. Any suggestions for Crappies and Walleyes would be wonderful. I have fishing 8 mile, 3 sisters, american narrows and the fish just are not biting. I am willing to travel far to find them. Thanks

Hi JJa,

Sorry to hear things aren't going as planned. Goes to show that even though this is a truly magnificent fishery fishing is still fishing. I'd suggest changing your patterns. The locations in which you've been fishing are good walleye areas. Wind will determine often times whether these areas will be holding fish. Fish spots on spots. Spend more time combing with your graph. If your fishing slow try something fast if your fishing shallow go real deep. It isn't as much an exact location of the fish as it is presenting the bait in the right fashion for the mood of the fish. Haven't been out with you, so can't pinpoint areas to make a change. Just random thoughts from a cluttered mind! Hope something helps ya! Good Fishing!

RD

HI JJA,

I'M GUESSING, BUT I WOULD SAY YOUR NOT ANCHORING, 150 FOOT ROPE & A ANCHOR THAT IS HEAVY ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU HOLD. THE WIND WE HAVE HAD LATELY, MAKES MY DECISION EASY. ALSO NEED MARKER BOUYS, AND A GOOD GRAPH...FISH THE SAME AREAS, BUT ANCHORING ON THE BREAKLINE, SO YOU SWING ON & OFF THE REEF GOING 25 TO 40 FEET. SHORT LINDYS WITH LEECHES IF YOU BROUGHT ANY UP OR A JIG & A MINNOW.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I prefer to use Fishmeisters Marker bouys! They seemingly are always on fish! I'll second FM's comments. Slow down.

RD

Fishmiester, have you been up further in Red Gut recently (Perry Straits, or past grassy narrows)? Coming up this weekend.....just wondering how the fish are biting.

The Bone

HI FISHBONE,

FISHED SPAWN INLET LAST SATURDAY AFTERNOON. 5 OF US IN THE BOAT, WE KEPT 42 CRAPPIES...BIGGEST BEING 2 LBS. 2 OZ., WHICH THE GUY IS HAVING IT MOUNTED. 90 MILE BOAT TRIP BY WATER.(45 EACH WAY)

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Thanks for all the information. I have not tried to anchor anywhere so I will give that a try. It appears that the fish are holding on the 25 to 40 ft drops but they are not biting. I have been using jigs with gulp alive as we have been going into Canada as well. The Pike are biting though.

I was in Redgut bay twice this week and could not find the crappies, any help you might have would be great.

Thanks

HEY JJA,

FIRST OFF FISHING CRAPPIES IN WIND...FORGET IT., THEY CAN BE HARD ENOUGH TO FISH WITHOUT WIND, THIS TIME OF THE YEAR, THE MAGIC DEPTH FOR CRAPPIES IS 30 FEET. IF YOUR FISHING CRAPPIES & NOT ANCHORING, THAT CONFUSES ME? RED GUT IS LOADED WITH CRAPPIES THIS TIME OF THE YEAR BUT I DO NOT GIVE OUT G.P.S. CORDINATES OR EXACT LOCATIONS ON THE NET., BUT HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO GIVE SOME SPOTS OUT IF SOMEONE BRINGS IN A NOAA MAP TO HARDEES AND I'M THERE. I DO USE ALOT OF PLASTICS, BUT SOMETIMES THEY DON'T WORK AS WELL AS 1/32...1/16...OR 1/8TH TIPPED WITH A CRAPPIE MINNOW. THIS TIME OF THE YEAR CRAPPIES GO INTO MASSIVE SCHOOLS & FEED LIKE PIGS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Thanks again for the information and next year when I come up I will see you at Hardees. Good luck for the rest of the year. See you in the fall 08 and I will bring two anchors.

JJA