Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappieflop30

river fishing

8 posts in this topic

so a week or so ago i asked about some good spots for walleyes and i was told that the bridge over the mn river in st. peter can produce. well i went down there today and realized i don't know much about fishing for walleyes on the river so i guess i am just looking for some tips, common techniques, set ups etc. any feedback is much appreciated

Water temps are probably too warm yet, give it a few weeks and try again. grin.gif

When I was young we river fished alot for walleye's. I remember dad catching some real pig's in the fall. He always said the bite is best after a good freeze and the leaves are almost gone from the trees.

Look for the Full Moon of Oct, and Nov. 3 days before-3days after the full moon should put you on some fish.

Yes, right before the ice starts to show up is always a good time for river Walleyes.

for those before ice walleyes, is there a good way of getting at them form shore? presentations, depths, structures, areas, any info would be appreciated thanks guys

Pitching to current seams with hair jigs or plastic is typically "sure-fire". I'm looking forward to some of that in November.

Quote:

for those before ice walleyes, is there a good way of getting at them form shore?

In a lot of cases, there isn't a good way to get to them from the water either. blush.gif

A majority of the RiverPro owners that fish the MN are walleye fisherman first, catfisherman second.

Get a pair of waders, some yellow and orange jigs and some Fat Heads. Head up the Blue Earth or LeSueur river look for pools with moving water up stream. Some pool won't have fish some will. It's what I like to do.