Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stratosman

Bluffs launch

13 posts in this topic

Anyone know if the launch is open yet? I believe it was shut down for repairs this week, wondering if they got the work done?

I was down there last Friday and I thought the sign said it was closed from Monday through Friday but I'm not real sure on that.

The sign read closed for repairs from the 17th to the 21st so it should have been open today. Hope so cause I want to go out early tomorrow. confused.gif

I was there this afternoon and it was closed. The sign there today said closed till the 27th.

Yeah I called the parks dept. and they told me it whatever they did needs to cure till the 27th. I am assuming concrete and hopefully they fixed the sharp dropoff that everyone scrapes thier trailers on.

When I got down there yesterday a.m. I thought I it was gonna be open cause the sign I saw A few weeks ago said the shutdown was only gonna be though the week. There was no sign when I got to the gates, but as I was coming in, another truck and boat was leaving. Not a good sign at 6:00am. As I was proceeding to the launch at the posted speed of 25mph, some guy comes flying up behind me and rides my butt all the way to the hill down to the launch. Then we turn around and he tries some hair-brain move where he was gonna pass me on the way out. I didn't let him get away with it though! We ended up going our seperate ways down St. Croix Trail and I was hope'n I would see him and better yet, beat him to the public launch in Hastings. I never did see him again, but I was planning on going as S L O W as possible launching my boat, and doing one of those moves where your truck and trailer are so crooked that only one boat can launch at once. I wasn't too happy about the constuction either, but this guy was outta line. Anyways, It sounds like it gonna be open next weekend so thats good.

Where is this launch?

Just so everyone knows I went down to the Bluffs park launch today. They are still working on it but it appears that it will be open on the 27th. The good news is that they removed the big hump at the launch site. No more grinding trailer at launch time, hurray. The bad news is I almost died walking back up the hill to my car. (still can't drive to the launch had to walk.) I quess I'm just getting too old

tongue.gif

In addition to removing the 'big hump' (asphalt apron) and replacing it with a concrete apron (hence, the need to cure), they also added material below the water, just beyond the planks where a blow out existed because of power loading. It will be open for the weekend!

I'll be so happy to not scrape the ole shorelander trailer anymore..... wink.gif

Any one check out the launch yet?

Went out Friday morning. Apron looks nice, but I cannot imagine what they did below the waterline. Still a big drop off at the end of the cement. Talked to a couple of other regulars, and they couldn't imagine it was better below the water.

I was also there on Friday. I saw someone loading when I was launching and he scraped his trailer when pulling out, so the drop off is still there (left side when facing the water). It will be pretty bad if the river becomes lower. frown.gif