Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergeant Slabber

Fuel Oil

4 posts in this topic

I have an old fuel oil tank that's in the ground. We haven't run fuel oil in the house for probably 20 years or so. I still have about 8" of oil in the tank. I have no idea how big the tank is. My plan is to pump out the remaining oil so I can fill the tank with sand and cap it off. Does anyone have some advice on how to remove it, and what I can/should do with the oil once I have it out? Thanks!!

You don't want to fill it with sand. The tank has to be removed and disposed of, hopefully it hasn't leaked. You should be able to bring the oil where you bring your drain oil.

Call a fuel oil Co.They will pump & dispose of contents,And will give a quote for removal of tank or lead you in the right direction.Your tank is now considered toxic waste and should be disposed of properly.

What ever you don't don't contact the state or county. This is one of those things that you want to handle on your own.