Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
bassNspear

New To Area!!

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

Hey All,

I just purchaced a new home in Chann by HWY5, and looking for great lakes to go to this winter. I know the summer is getting close to the end, but looking for spearing lakes in the Chann area, along with nice pan fish.

Anyhelp would be great. Thanks

Scott M    3
Scott M

Bavaria and Piersons. Bavaria has really high catches of pike and Piersons you'll have to be careful on since it has tiger muskies. I know a guy that saw the same tiger musky every day he went for about two weeks. But we have faith in you more than anyone to not spear one of those.

Steiger has good size structure, but is C&R only so no spearing. Riley is another little lake with really high #s. There is one good point I've done well on tip ups for them.

Good luck. Maybe we can join up some time.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

Ya that would be kool. Thanks for the help.

markkstanley    0
markkstanley

In the neighborhood now grin.gifMinnewashta especially the south bay. Need a snowmobile or ATV to get there most winters so not many bother. Very nice pike. Hard to beat Tonka once you get to know it. Give me shout when ice time is finally here and I can help you out.

Carp-fisher    0
Carp-fisher

Hey Bassnspear--heck we're probably neighbors--I live off of 5 in Chan. Lot of good lakes around here. Other than Minnetonka or Waconia, I think Riley may be a real sleeper. I've had some very decent action out there before--pike and panfish. You might want to look into Minnewashta--I've never fished it, but I've heard its jam packed full of pike and panfish.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

Thanks Mark. Ill do that forsure.

Carp, i will be living on the north of five. By Prince's Land.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

What about these lakes?

Ann----Lucy----Lotus-----Riley-----Susan------Christmas----Rice Marsh------Mitchell Lake-----Silver Lake

SWMuskeye    0
SWMuskeye

Quote:

What about these lakes?

Ann----Lucy----Lotus-----Riley-----Susan------Christmas----Rice Marsh------Mitchell Lake-----Silver Lake

Ann- This is a much overlooked Pike fishery. Not only are they numerous, but pretty decent year classes from snakes to bigger fish. It's got easy weedlines too.

Lucy- Haven't fished it =(

Lotus- Not much of a pike lake, decent walters though.

Riley- I agree with whats been said by others, it can be pretty decent for pike in shallow weeds, and a sleeper eye lake.

Susan- I spent one day out there, got skunked.

Christmas- IMO the most fun lake to spear on, many spearshacks are out there each year. You can see 20' down and some pike grow large from eating trout. But their numbers are low.

Rice Marsh/Silver- No experience

Mitchell- Haven't been out there this year since the winterkill- but I think it suffered a bit from what I've heard.

Others not listed worth mentioning are

Bavaria- good crappie lake and pikers.

Hydes - same as Bavaria

Parley - good panfish/pike.

Zumbra - great bass lake -- shhhh.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

So i take it that Christmas Lake is the clearest of them all. Are there others that are clear as well, or mostly dirty?

kdawg    0
kdawg

Are there any restrictions on which lakes you can spear on in the metro area? (other than the catch and release lake mentioned)

Thanks.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

that was going to be my next question.

I sent a email to the DNR to check if there is anything new coming out, along with lakes that you can not spear on.

markkstanley    0
markkstanley

Christmas is by far the clearest, The rest are about 10ft in the winter. For spearing pike you really are looking at Riley, Bavaria, Christmas,Minnewashta, Tonka and Ann. The rest of your list are no fish at all (Rice Marsh and Silver) or very small pike populations size and numbers. Waconia is also a possibility.

Carp-fisher    0
Carp-fisher

I don't know how the winterkill affected the pike population in Mitchell Lake. It did have some big fat pike in there.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

I guess what im looking for is a clear lake that has pike in it. Numbers are good!!

Jameson    3
Jameson

Xmas

also look into Little Long

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

Ill check them both out this winter. I want to get the boat out this fall to check out the lakes on how clear they are before i cut holes through the ice.

iFishMN.us    0
iFishMN.us

I second Little Long, hard to beat the clarity, some good size panfish if you can find them, and good numbers of pike, including a few monsters due to the amazing depth of the lake and trout to feed on.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

do alot of people spear on this little long.

12345    0

if you dont mind a 3 hour drive go up to Woman Lake in Cass County one of teh clearest lakes in the state, and many many pike(lots of people spear in the winter here)

Jameson    3
Jameson

Some years more than others. The last year with great ice, what five years ago, trucks were driving across the lake. That don't normally happen. Both Xmas and lil long are deep lakes that don't freeze all that well most years. The limited vehicle access will limit spearers/fishers.

Most the spearhouses will set up straight out from the landing early season.

dilleyo    0
dilleyo

Quote:

do alot of people spear on this little long.

I went out there last spring before ice out and there wasn't much evidence of anybody icefishing out there. I would have to agree with others about the clarity of this lake though as I have a cheap-o underwater camera that if the water is even a little bit cloudy, I can't see a thing. I dropped the camera down last winter and could see for what looked like 100 yards. It was pretty cool also, I saw a dock under the water straight out from the launch in 15 ft of water and there was a toilet sitting upright on it.

Central Bassman    0
Central Bassman

Quote:

if you dont mind a 3 hour drive go up to Woman Lake in Cass County one of teh clearest lakes in the state, and many many pike(lots of people spear in the winter here)

Bass N Spear and Myself will be up spearing in the Cass Lake area some time after x-mas. We will have to go an check that lake out. Thanks for the Info 12345

Scott M    3
Scott M

I've got a good spot for us to try on Minnetonka. I've cleaned up out there on tip ups. It's a great spot for a hooky day or when you take 1/2 day off. Not a far walk or anything. Can't spear it (Minnetonka's banned), but can do well on tip ups or could sight fish them.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

dude, this time of year, in the boat business, i can take any day off i want.

bassNspear    0
bassNspear

SO with al these lakes in mind, where does a start???