Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slow Jigger

low light issues

13 posts in this topic

Any tips on low light shooting. I can't see my pins but can see the deer. My sight is the 3ft wrapped fiber kind but not much help. (the red pin might as well be black) I thought of glow paint (fishing jig paint) on the tips and hit it with a light quick when it starts getting where I can't see the pin.

I prefer not spending the $$$ on a lighted sight.

I wanna get me another shot at the big guy I saw tonight.

buy a sight light, around $15 at any sproting goods store. Drill a hole in the sight if there isn't one there already. The light is threaded so you can screw the light onto your sight, you might have to use a threadlocker. I did this on my old bow and it worked great, much cheaper than a sighted light. The light really only has to shine on a portion of the pin to get it to light up. There is also a light that you can stick to your bow handle, it has a little tube that you can adjust to shine on the fiber optic. Still a relatively inexpensive light. Hope that helps.

How much light do you need? I have a Cobra sidewinder and that thing is bright as the noon sun if there is just a little bit of dawn or dusk light. What kind of sight are you using?

Use the green on on your closest range pin. I have a tru glow with the fiber wrapped around and I can see that thing before and after shooting light.

I agree with the Cobra............at 6 am on Saturday I could see my pins as plain as day (not that I had an arrow nocked), it has 2 ft. of fiberoptics and a light that fills the wrapped fiberoptics for justs those occasions when a little more light is needed. It was a little spendy, but well worth it and I wont be needing a new site any time soon.

I totally missed the most important part I hunt in a ground blind and my eyes don't pick up the pins as easy as they did a few years ago.

I only like one or two windows open at a time if I can help it.

I also have a Cobra Sidewinder. mine came with a little black plastic slip on cup like thing that covers the coil. there also were glow sticks that came with it. i guess you are supposed to activate the glow sticks, stick them in the cover and clip it on. i have never used it or needed it, so i don't know. i just looked and found something similar on the cabelas website, but it has what looks like a light on it. take a look, $17.99 online.

The problem is the ground blind.. it is tougher to see your pins in there.. a sight light may be a good option. A larger peep sight, or going to a no-peep may help you out as well.

Tray a Redhawk peep. They work great.

The solution might also be your ground blind.

Many of the quality ground blinds out there offer shoot-thru camo netting. It's a good idea to open as many windows possible but keep the netting down, or in the case of the Double Bull Matrix, make the opening as tall/wide as possible. Remember to keep your background dark (windows/opening tight), and wear all-black to match your suroundings.

Granted, it won't be quite as bright, but you greatly increase your odds by allowing as much light in as possible, while still remaining concealed.

I've taken out folks that have killed turkeys right off the roost in poor lighting conditions with the Double Bull. Although the netting isn't down for turkeys, I simply open the blind as far as possible to let the max amount of light into it.

Joel

The human eye can pick up the green color more distinctly. Try making your primary pin a green one.

(that may also explain why we may run an occasional red light, but rarely stop at a green one! *L*)

I shoot with just a kisser button, tried a peep but it was like looking through a keyhole when I wanted to just open the door. Both eyes open is how I like to so the peep screwed me up there as well. Just trying to see the pins was the issue.

Thanks All - keep posting if you have other ideas I will be checking multiple times before the next outing!

I practice shooting around my peep for low light conditions.

It does impact my accuracy so I limit the shots to 25 yards and under. I did take my first P&Y using this method.