Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerkin'm

Rigger Issues..

4 posts in this topic

I have an ancient pair of Cannon Unitroll riggers..recently one of the handles stripped out and I can't seem to find the right looking one online..I have looked at most of the online retailers and they don't look quite the same..are they semi universal for this model? Here's a pic of my 4 year old with her first laker..she's hooked... grin.gifth_crowpics019.jpg

E-mail me a pic and Ill look around and see what I can find. Russ probably has some laying around at Marine General. I know when Cannon changed hands they changed some stuff on the riggers. That was in the last few years though. Yours is old enough though that there should still be some laying around.

Otherwise call Marine General and get the # for their Cannon repair guy on E 4th st. in Duluth. He may have some older handles laying around.

email sent...thanks for the help...Very new to this downrigger thing (I think about 5 days under my belt)...I was having some issues losing the biggest fish we had hooked too...I was running two 8 1/2 foot trolling rods w/20# mono and 2 -7' Heavy bass rods w/50# braid...seemed we couldn't land fish over 10#'s on the bass rods...You could feel the fish rolling and thrashing down deep and after a bit of a fight they would just pop off...frustrating..I was thinking maybe there wasn't enough flex between stiffness of the rods and the no stretch braid line...Might switch to all big trolling set ups for next year...

Stiif rods and no stretch line arent a good combo. Get some softer tipped rods or add a 10' shocker of mono. Or just go straight mono. Sharpen them hooks too. Lakers do roll a lot and get off every so often. Heck we had a outing the other day where we lost a lot of eyes right behind the boat after draggin them for over 120'.