Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whittsend

HELP? NEW TO FALL RAINY FISHING...

4 posts in this topic

Heading to NW bay (LaBelle's Birch Point Camp) for a week (missing the WI bow opener, bad timing I know). I have never fished Rainy in the fall, although I have fished it many times in the spring (June). Would anyone be willing to help a guy out on what depth/structure type to start at for smallies and walleyes (and crappies?) ? Lure/bait preference, etc?? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Please feel free to email whittlinger2pharmd@msn.com as well.

Thanks! smile.gif

Whittsend

Hey whittsend, I just got back from the north arm last weekend. Look for reefs and shoreline close to deep water. We used jigs and big minnows as well as large cranks that dive to around seventeen feet. Had the best luck trolling cranks. Three of us got 6 eyes over 9 lbs, the largest being a 31" that weighed 12 lbs. Seemed a little heavy for that length but maybe had some eggs in her already. The large deep thunder storms (firetiger) seemed to be the hottest color although silver/blue was a good color too. I like to use about 8 lbs test fireline because it lets the bait dive deep and doesn't stretch much with all that line out, we also use south bend titanium leaders as they don't kink on the first pike you catch. Smallies seemed to be around the 25 foot mark but we weren't targeting them just caught them by accident. If you run the cranks try to be ticking bottom every so often but be prepared for some snags! We just vertical jigged with the minnows. Good luck! If it's windy go for the windblown shorelines.

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. Already excited about this resource for next year, but my Rainy Lake season isn't over yet. I'm heading up to Red Gut this weekend for the last cabin trip of the season. We'll start hunting on the larger reefs surrounded by 30-40 feet of water, head deeper if that's where they are still active and/or play with shorelines. There are two first-timers coming along who I would love to park on top of the great fall fishing I've bragged about. Wish me luck!

Out of curiosity, anyone have luck fall fishing in Porter's? We've had our cabin in the family as long as I've been alive. Great spring and early summer fishing there but we've never fished there in the fall. Depth back there most places is 12-17 feet.

I know that Red Gut is quiet this time of year (ahhh!) but if anyone spots us, give a wave or a greeting. Two boats: a green/gold Lund and a teal stern-drive Sportfish; we should be fishing near each other.

Tim

We have owned a place on redgut for over thirty five years. Give me a call on my E-mail and we can compare notes. J12C13R34@comcast.net No spring fishing in Porters as it is closed until sometime into June. Gave it a quick try a few weeks ago, and nothing, I think it is probably too shallow for this time of the year.