Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
instagator2005

Bay in Ashland-- Chaq??

8 posts in this topic

How is the fishing in this bay in spring time??

Look in the WI thread. JHK431 should have a bit of info for you. I wouldn't keep my trips there to just the spring though because right now the fish are banging and the feedbags are on.

Tunrevir~

Fall good too eh?? how deep is it out there?? few rivers running through there too??

Fishing in the bay it quite good all year long for a variety of species... Spring equals great fishing for almost all species.. Be it trout, salmon, smallies, pike, walleyes, perch... And in the fall, with the cooler water temps, we will see a resurgance of great fishing again...

Chequamegon Bay itself, is 35 FOW or so at it's deepest stretch from Ashland to Washburn.. Then from Washburn to Houghton Point and across to Long Island, depths of 90FOW can be found..

has anyone been out there this fall yet??

Yes. Which species are you after? I've been concentrating on trout and salmon the last few weeks. I haven't done much fishing "in the bay" recently, but with the shorter days, I will be staying in the bay as long runs are difficult after work.

lake trout and salmon all I go after on big lake

I was out for only an hour last night. Trolled part of the Ashland shore and lost a coho. This time of year is a good time for coho, kings and browns in this area. Laker season closes at the end of the month.

Places to try include the South Channel. Houghton Point and the shorelines both north and south of there. The mouths of the Souix and Onion Rivers and Pikes Bay. Sticks and cranks off planerboards, spoons off riggers and dipsy's are good presentations to try. The fish can be on the bottom or just under the surface. Small dodgers/flashers and flies work for coho.