Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fsnrod

Engine rebuild

4 posts in this topic

I would like some recomendations on a engine rebuilder.I called midwest engine rebuilders on 732 E 4th st Duluth I was wondering if anybody has any insite on them or any other machine shop around the area. thanks Rod

Sounds like the old 4th Auto. If things are the same then your in good hands.

Midwest rebuilt one of my motors 2yrs ago. No problems and runs fine. I went with them after losing my starboard engine in Grand Maris. Was on my way from Knife River to Isle Royale. Stopped in GM to fuel up, motor would not turn over. I was thinking starter, but ended up with water in the cylinders, cracked block.

While trying to figure out what was wrong, I was talking with the mechanic at Knife River Marina. He helped me as much as he could. Then suggested I call Midwest and talk with Bob to see if he could figure out was wrong. Spent a lot of time with me on the phone over several calls.

So I figured he was who I should have do my rebuild.

Did a great job at a fair price, I would us them again with out hesitation.

Good Luck, Al

A couple of thoughts for you as you look into this. With the engine out, now is a good time to take care of any other issues that may need correcting. It will save time and $$ later. Also, find out if they rebuild or remanufacture the engine. There is a difference. Remanufacturing makes it essentially close to new but it will cost more. Also check on guarantee. A number of companies (not necessarily local) are offerring up to a 2 year guarantee on their engines. Something you also might want to think about. Good luck