Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Late Season Rochester Geese

4 posts in this topic

So I've always wanted to hunt Late season geese in Rochester, but is my only option to do it with a guide and plunk down $200 for 2 birds? Is there any good public land or (not looking for specifics) private people willing to let others onto their land?

What does everybody locally do that hunts this season?

Thanks for the help.

Really nothing along the lines of public land. There are a few public pass shooting blinds along the refuge. But you will have to be a (real) early bird to get one, and it's likely not going to be anything that could be deemed a quality hunt.

Private land is getting harder and harder to come by. But it's not out of the question. You would need to do some major scouting and door knocking.

A guided hunt will run you around $100, in most cases. At least a couple of the guide services also offer unguided hunts. It might be roughly half the price of a fully guided hunt, and you get to use one of their fields. If you can get a few buddies together, this is a good route to go.

there are farmers out there that are more than willing to allow you to hunt on their land im a clloge student in winona and some buddies and i have found many willing farmers all it takes is a friendly smile and proving to him youll be responsible and the hunting is amazing if you find the right fields

Winona i am glad to hear you have had luck banging on doors. that is usually the exception to the rule. Unless you want to settle for several miles out from the refuge and then you will be lucky to see action. Late season can be tough. If you are really anti guide you can go without and you might have success. If you are really only after your 2 birds you can find what way they are flying each day and lay in a ditch some where and probably snipe your 2. I am from roch and have some connections but if i weren't i would probably go with a guide or at least a semi guided. Where they supply the pits and you do all the work. you will spend as much in gas trying to gain permission for some good feilds as you would just getting a guide. I would love to tell you more but the rules on here permit me to do so. Shoot me an e-mail ikeslayer@hotmail.com if you have more questions.

ike