• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Suzuki 140 stalling

Hemlock

Question

Are there any other Suzuki owners out there experiencing sudden power loss? It always happens just after taking off. Boat gets up on plane, and all of a sudden, the motor quits. To me it seems like an airlock of some sort.

I love my Suzuki to death, but can't seem to figure out what's going on with it. After it quits, it starts right back up and I can run it for 2 hours straight, with no problems.

I've spoken with two other 140 owners and they are having the exact same thing happen. Seems to happen more often on hot days.

Anyone?

12 answers to this question

Make sure your fuel pump is working right. Check the bubble and see if it holds the firmness.Thats all I can think of right now.

Had my 90 do that twice this summer, both on days over 90 degrees....can't quite figure out what would cause that, but like you said, fire it up and it's good to go. Wierd.

Hemlock,

Is this only happening at the beginning of the day or when the engine is cold?

If so, here goes.

I have had numerous discussions with other 140 owners on this subject. One theory has been that the engine isn't warmed enough prior to powering up.

I had the same thing happen on my 04 140. Ever since then I have made sure I idle from the dock prior to giving her the onion. Not one occurance since.

Hope this helps.

More often than not, it happens after being stopped for a short while, say to fish a spot for 20 minutes, then trying to go. Last time it happened to me, we had just boated 30+ miles, dropped someone off at their island, said our goodbye's and went to go, and kerplunk, she dies right after getting up on plane.

Hasn't happened in a long while (since the heat wave of mid August)...agreed though, that there's no harm it idling it for 5-10 minutes, prior to take off.

Shoots my idea in the a**. Vapor locking is sounding better all the time. Does it bog down and quit or go dead in the water with no warning?

If you do find out what is causing this please post. I'm sure the rest of the 140 owners would be interested in learning more on this issue.

It is vapor lock, it cuts out as if it ran out of gas. Like Hemlock stated, only on the hottest of days. Not sure what the resolution is however.

My motor experienced vapor lock 2-3 times this summer on really hot days also. I've never seen that before either, but a pump of the bulb cured the issue. I have a Mercury, so I don't think it's a Suzi issue.

She cuts out dead without hesitation. When I do gather myself, and the boat has come down from plane, the motor is still idling (this is after I have throttled back).

It acts like someone is pulling the kill switch (I thought at first it was my kids, but that has been ruled out)

Hasn't done it since it's been hot. Anyone know how to fix this? My dealer recommended a smaller diameter fuel line. ???

I had a problem with my Suzuki DF 70 but is was related hard starting on hot days. As was mentioned in other posts here, my dealer suspected vapor lock as well. His suggestion was to let the motor run a minute or two after getting to your destination and the problem never happened again.

I have a 2005 Johnson 140 4 stroke. From what I hear it is the same engine as the Suzuki. In the 2 years of ownership I have had this happened 2 times (I have been lucky enough to use it quite a bit). One of the times was this last spring on the river when the air temp was about 40 and the water temp was probably close to that. I also was told about the hot days, but kind of ruled it out after it happened when it was cold air and cold water. I have read a little on this subject and talked to some that know more than me and basically what I have been told..........It happens to all kinds of motors and not to be to worried about it????????? Still never given a real definate answer. I guess 2 years with a lot of use having it happen only twice does not scare the heck out of me, but sure would be nice to get a definate answer.

Matt

i have a 2004 Suz 140 and that happen quit a bit, when cold

or hot out. I put a new gas line on and it seemed to fix the problem. I think the primer ball in the other hose was going bad and the engine vapor locked. Since i replace the hose i havent had any prolbems

I have a johnson 140(suzuki) and a couple of times a year when start up it does the same thing, bogs down like a cylinder is missing. I always back off on the throttle, let it warm up, then its find the rest of the day. Still the best ob i've owned. Although my 61 merc 80hp was the coolest looking with its brass prop.