Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
penguin

Silver Lake goose control?

5 posts in this topic

Forgot to post this earlier, but was heading to the farmer's market last Sat and drove by Silver Lake. Looks like they have roped off a big section and hung silver flags that sparkle in the sun all over the place. Actually looks pretty neat in the morning sun. Anyone else seen this?

Also, did anyone get anything for opener?

-Penguin

The silver tinsel seems to be keeping the geese away. There's actually grass growing in the roped off areas. Looks a little wacky, but it works.

Yes i believe the plan is to grow grass and shrubs in certain areas and control where they walk and feed and keep them off the walk ways so you don't feel like you need to burn your shoes after a walk around the lake. i personally don't think it is going to work in the long run if the geese stick around they are an awefully persistant bird

I also noticed that they took the corn feeders out of there so it is illegal or wrong if i bring corn down there to feed them myself? ike

Although its not illegal to feed the geese I think the city discourges it.

Frankly I've lived in Rochester all my life and its about time that something is done about the goose over population around Silver Lake. It will be better for the geese and those of us who spend time there.For more info read this link

http://www.rochestermn.gov/departments/administration/projects/geesemanagement.asp?Printable=true

No geese at silverlake.. another reason for me not to drive and spend my money into an already "Dead" downtown Rochester is looking to revitalize the downtown so why do they keep taking things away that give me a reason to go downtown. If it's not something that's gonna benifit Mother Mayo rochester doesn't want it!! I'll spend my money on the outskirts of town or in the surrounding communities.