Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlvaj

New Minimum Draw Weight

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering, the new minimum draw weight for MN this year is 30#. Can someone actually get a clean kill at 30#?

Sure you can. Just remember to make a good shot and dont take any long bomb out of range shots and 30#'s will work fine. You will have a little more arrow drop at the farther ranges with less poundage.

With a well tuned bow, sharp broadheads and a well placed shot it should be no problem. One doesnt have to blow a arrow through the deer and another 20 feet.

The main motive was to get more youth into the sport. I think it's a great idea as long as hunting mentors of those kids teach them to make responsible shots as far as position of the deer and distance goes. Broadhead sharpness is one of the most critical things to consider also.

Not sure but I think Wis. has been @ 30 for years. Get for getting the young kids started.

Not only is it good for kids, but as I understand the advances in bow technology and with the advent of carbon arrows that the energy delivered by modern equipment at 30 lbs is every bit as good or better than the older equipment at 40. Like HarveyLee says too, its all a matter of knowing your range and sighting in appropriately.

My girlfriends bow was at #40 last year and she shot a deer. She thought it was broadside but was acually quartering towards her. aarow went out up to the feathers. Deer was found 60yds from where she shot it.

a 30 lb bow 10 years ago and a 30 lb bow today are totally different beasts. A well placed shot with a sharp broad head I would say woudl be a kill 100% of the time. I'm not going to turn my bow down to 30 lbs... but like other have posted, if it gets more children or women involved in our sport I'm all for it.

And... if it keeps me doing the sport as I grow old, I'm really all for it.

We hunt in Wisconsin. As someone said, the minimum has always been 30 lbs. A few years back, my mother, at 71 years old, shot the biggest buck in camp, shooting 30lbs. The blood trail was short and sweet. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I know my g/f was preety ecstatic to see the draw weight dropped, she went right out and bought a new diamond edge. she could never draw back 40 lbs due to a shoulder injury from an accident, but she has no problem with 30.